Monitor Overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Overclocking?

I have a question...say if you have a monitor that can run 85hz @ 1600x1200 and you force it to run at 100hz..what can happen?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

1) monitor may go pop and never work again
    2) short period more then likely the monitor can't sync to the picture and you get lots of scrolling lines and a high pitch noise
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

My monitor went *pop* during an Xwindows configuration... (had to do apparently with bad Trident drivers on that Yggdrasil linux distribution).

A bright, white flash, and then...

nothing...

except for a repetetive click-sound (in sync with the powerled blinking). I tried it to do 640x480x60 Hz... (still don't know what I did wrong). Called the store, and they said the monitor might have been stuck in powersaving, but I denied that quite fast: it did not support powersaving. Some of the internal fuses were blown, but now it works again...

Don't most modern displays give a "signal out of range" message ?

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

yeah mine does that, but the background has some interesting scrolling patterns and a nice high whine

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
          Don't most modern displays give a "signal out of range" message ?

Jörg

Yes, they do. But, how you said, they display that only when the signal is REALLY out of range.

If you take a good monitor it has a few hz above the working freq. before displaying that msg.
          For example my LG at 1024*768 has a working freq. of 90 Hz, but I can overclock it up to about 112Hz (if I remember correctly, could be more) before receiving the "signal out of range" message.

More, even if the res max for it it's set to 1600*1200@75Hz, I could easily bring it up to 1880*1400@75Hz without the monitor displaying error messages.

But the fact that the monitor it's still into it's working parameters doesn't mean that the internal component aren't overstressed...

To make it shortly, you can overclock a monitor but then you have to prepare the monitor last a bit less...the same as for processor's overclocking.
          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Whenever pushing any monitor to it upper limits, ie above it's default res/refresh rate but not exceeding it's maximum spec will shorten it's life expectency by a tad.
            If you do exceed the specs some monitors will simply not initialize the res/refresh rate, while others will die.

Read your monitors specs and don't exceed them.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I rather shorten the life span of my monitor then my eyes. My mitsubishi diamond pro 710 has defoult refresh rate of 85Hz @ 1024x768 however it runs it @100Hz before geting out of range msg.
              Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by Kastuvas
                I rather shorten the life span of my monitor then my eyes. My mitsubishi diamond pro 710 has defoult refresh rate of 85Hz @ 1024x768 however it runs it @100Hz before geting out of range msg.
                Same here - my screen only does 85Hz at 1280x960 or above, but I run it at 100Hz

Comment

AFAIK you can also make the picture quality degrade with overclocking your monitor... Good monitors should support sufficiently high frequencies at sufficiently high resolutions and sharpness, and refuse to display if the specs are exceeded.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X