G400 not allowing full refresh rate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 not allowing full refresh rate.

Howdy all. While my main rig is down I get to use my secondary machine, which houses my G400. I am currently running a 21" monitor as the main display and a 15" as the secondary. On the 21" at 1600x1200 it won't let me go above 75 Hz refresh even though the monitor is fully capable of running at 85 Hz at that resolution. Is there any way to make the G400 let me run the faster refresh rate? I am using the newest certified drivers in Windows XP, I tried the beta drivers but they won't let me run dual monitors.

I've never run any certified drivers for the G400. But have no problems with the exact same setup as you are describing (21" monitor with a 15" as secondary powered by a G400Max).
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Does Windows have drivers installed for your 21 inch moniter? If not it is probably detected as a generic Plug and Play Monitor and might be why it will not let you go over 75Hz.
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor
        Untick "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"

Press Apply

Then go to "Adapter" and click on the "List all modes button", select the resolution and refresh rate u want, click ok, then apply

There ya go
        -Slougi

Comment

There are no drivers for the exact model monitor I have, but windows chose the model closest. I tried plug and play monitor also, as well as just random drivers throughout the list hoping something would open up. I tried the list all modes button, but it doesn't have any option for 1600x1200 85Hz, even after I tell it to show all modes.

Comment

Make sure the drivers support the resolution you are trying for. You can check this in the inf file the drivers are using (or at least for ATI, not sure for Matrox's drivers....). If the mode isn't in the inf file, just simply add it and it should show up in your display properties.
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
            May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
            Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
            And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
            just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
            For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

In the old PowerDesk of my Millennium, there was the option to not use the windows monitor profile, but a special Matrox one, where you can fine-tune every single resolution/color depth mode in 1 Hz steps, plus zoom modes, picture size and vertical and horizontal alignment... I doubt this option isn't still there, maybe you could use that?

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hmm. Intersting solution presented itself. I changed the desktop color depth to 16 bit and it then allows a refresh rate up to 90 Hz at 1600x1200. My Win2k + Geforce 3 always let me do 32 bit, which I just don't understand. Owell, this is plenty good for now, thanks all for your help.

Comment

DON'T USE the windows display properties MONITOR tab to set your refresh!!!!!!!!

Use MONITOR SETTINGS and click on adjust current display mode.

Rags

Comment

Ou tof curiosity, what is the difference? I know you can set a much more precise refresh rate that way, but what advantage does it have when you use a standard refresh rate?

Comment

There's apparently some sort of limitation in the G400 that won't let it run over 75Hz 1600x1200x32 if you have dualhead enabled.
                      I've got a similar setup (21" and 19") and found that I could go up to at least 85Hz in 24 or 16 bit color.
                      I ended up buying a cheap GF2MX 32MB PCI card to run my second screen at least until I upgrade my main display. (Probably to a Parhelia)
                      One nifty thing about having 2 cards is that you don't have to shut down the 2nd head to play some games. UT works, GTA3 starts up but has strange problems (this game seems to have a fair number of those...). It's not a huge advantage but I like having an instant messaging app up while I'm playing in case someone logs in. CPU monitors are kinda fun on the 2nd head too.

Mike
                      Mike

Comment

Is it really possible to have a normal windows desktop being displayed while playing a game when using two cards? Does the game minimize when accessing something on the second display?

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Reverend Maynard
                          Ou tof curiosity, what is the difference? I know you can set a much more precise refresh rate that way, but what advantage does it have when you use a standard refresh rate?
                          What advantage is that it allows you to set your refresh rate for the mode it's in rather than a one time setting.

Thus when you go into games, you will retain the refresh rate for each mode you set as well.

Rags

Comment

Regarding the 2nd display, you can have stuff running on it, but you have to use a keyboard command (alt-esc or whatever) to minimize the game first. Unless you're playing GTA3. It lets the mouse wander over to the other display, and if you click while the mouse is there the game minimizes. Of course this is really annoying if you play w/ the mouse & keyboard, since if you're using the mouse to turn it'll end up over there a lot. It might be ok if you used a gamepad, but I don't have one so I just shut down the 2nd head to play it.
                            Unreal Tournament works fine w/ the 2nd head up w/ 2 cards,
                            but other than that you'll just have to try it. Some games will be fine, others may choke.
                            Another thing that happens is your windows desktop moves around. My 2nd head is on the right, and when I fire up a game w/ both heads running everything shifts to the right, so i end up with the right side of my primary & the left side of my secondary on the 2nd head. It might not do this if I ran the game in the same resolution as my desktop, but I generally keep my main screen in 1600x1200 and my G400 can't really hack it in that mode except in "2D" games.
                            Basically all it's good for is leaving a monitoring app up & running while you're playing a game. I usually use it w/ yahoo messenger. A CPU monitor can also be mildly entertaining, or perhaps a temperature monitor if you're experimenting with an overclocked system. Perhaps it might also be useful for keeping an eye on a game server while playing, but I don't have any experience with those.
                            You could also use this sort of setup for displaying information of use in the game- keyboard bindings, maps, cheat codes, etc.

Mike
                            Mike

Comment

Thanks a lot Zandor

I hoped there was a way to play a game and at the same time be able to have winamp open and skip tracks without having to leave the game...

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X