PIV Celeron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIV Celeron?

Will be upgrading my main games/web editing/photoshop computer soon and I was just wondering if anyone have tried one of this chips(1.7GHz)!

EDIT: Currently runnig a PIII 700 @ 940MHz, 384MB PC133 CAS2, BX chipset, raid 0, G400 Max setup!
    Last edited by Guru; 13 June 2002, 14:45.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Here's some reading for you:

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Since you don't mind O/C'ing I would go for a P4 1.6A or 1.8A
      and then run it for two weeks or so in default config and then I would O/C it to >2.4 Ghz.

And I would run it on an ASUS P4S533 Board !

Oh Yeah !
      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek
        Since you don't mind O/C'ing I would go for a P4 1.6A or 1.8A
        and then run it for two weeks or so in default config and then I would O/C it to >2.4 Ghz.

And I would run it on an ASUS P4S533 Board !

Oh Yeah !
        That was the board I had in mind ( Unless MSI comes out with one!)
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Will there be any dual cpu mainboard for these processors ?
          (cpu's are most likely dual-capable)

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Get the 1.6A, I just got it and overclocked it to 2.4 without any trouble, running at 1.550 volts, could goto 2.6 but don't like running at 1.7 and my asus mobo deviates the voltage by .05 volts....

Comment

Originally posted by God_Devil_Morta
              Get the 1.6A, I just got it and overclocked it to 2.4 without any trouble, running at 1.550 volts, could goto 2.6 but don't like running at 1.7 and my asus mobo deviates the voltage by .05 volts....
              No one sells them in finland anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                Will there be any dual cpu mainboard for these processors ?
                (cpu's are most likely dual-capable)

Jörg
                these CPU's are not dual capable. the P4 architecture did not (officially, at more than likely technically too) support SMP until the release of the Xeon processors. these also use a different socket, more pins, etc.
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Thanks,

I thought the Celeron officially didn't support dual-configurations, but did do technically. I thought the PIV might be similar (I have read it supports multithreading technically).

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

the older celerons did support dual processors, with some modifications. those were the ones under 533Mhz in a PPGA packaging. the newer flipchip celerons do not support SMP.

the P4 core technically probably does support both SMP and SMT, but SMP would require a different packaging (as the P4 packaging does not have many of the pins required for SMP operation iirc) and SMT would require additional logic on the processor. the P4 might also require additional logic for SMP operation, as intel claimed that the core did not support it upon release. who knows tho.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                    X