Print to tape in MSP6 and Prem6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print to tape in MSP6 and Prem6

We are trying to evaluate MSP6 and Prem6 to see which produces better results with our setup and so far the results are dismal.

Although the preview shows on the reference monitor (via VCR) the "print to tape" function doesn't in either program. Only output in Prem is audio on black screen. Output in MSP6 appears to be at a low frame rate, 'prox' 15 FPS or so. Dropping that bad?

According to the project settings it SHOULD be using Matrox hardware compression (analog footage was captured via PC-VCR).

This has never been an issue before as this is the first truely "long form" project we've done, in which we need uninterrupted output.

I know SOME of you guys have done it! What's the secret?

Athlon 1200
    Abit KT133A
    Fasttrak 66
    SB16 ISA
    Marvel G200 AGP
    Win98SE
    PD 5.42
    VT 1.52
    DX 8.1

Kevin
    Last edited by KRSESQ; 13 June 2002, 08:52.

In reference to MSP6

I've never bothered to use the "Print to tape" function.

As long as your project settings are the same as your capture settings were, the video should should play right off the timeline while previewing and out to your (NTSC/PAL) monitor and/or VCR with no problem. Just make sure you've selected "Best" under "Preview method".

In the future I think you'd be better off capturing with Ulead's capture program rather than Matrox's PC-VCR program. If I remember correctly, PC-VCR will not capture at 29.97 fps (NTSC) which is preferred over 30 fps.
    Last edited by Patrick; 13 June 2002, 13:52.

Comment

I agree with Patrick. I use AV_IO/PicVideo (or DV) for capture, and then use PCVCR to play the finished file and record on tape. The only limitations I see on your setup are hard drive speed (fasttrak should be ok) and file size (might need to press pause on the VCR and wait for the next file to start playing).

I have seen some people referring to programs that will play back several 2 gig files without any interruptions, but have never had much luck with that. I now use NTFS and Win2K to get around the file size limitations.

happy editing,

Ted
      Premiere PRO XP Pro
      Asus P4s533
      P4-2.8
      Matrox G450
      RT.x100
      45 GIG System Drive
      120 Export Drive
      Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
      17" P4-3 HT
      1024 RAM
      32 MEG GForce
      60 GIG 7200RPM HD
      80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
      DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Playing back from the preview line in Premiere typically causes audio sync problems (which have been addressed in other threads). Adobe blames it on the audio settings in Premiere being different from the audio settings of the source video. In my system, at least, it doesn't make any difference.

I guess I have no choice but to break the project into 20 minute segments. It could work. Ultimately my best bet is to replace the Marvel with something a little less proprietary and switch to Win2K.

Guess I can't complain too loudly. I knew going in that the Zoran chipset and Marvel's MJPEG could cause problems down the road. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances...

Thanks anyhoo

Kevin

Comment

I guess I have no choice but to break the project into 20 minute segments.
          Ummm.... Why is that?

I don't think you (and maybe you too, Ted!) understand the real benefit of previewing from off the timeline using MSP6. You can record to tape in this manner as long of a project as you want. There is no 4 GB limitation in effect because you are not rendering huge files.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but it sounds to me like you're not giving the Marvel and MSP6 much of a chance here.
          Last edited by Patrick; 13 June 2002, 23:57.

Comment

The problem I was having with previewing off the timeline was the appalling number of (supposedly) dropped frames. It looked like the video was running at 15 FPS. I can't find an option that allows me to specify frame rate in preview.

If I could make it work ok I'd be all over it!

Kevin

Comment

The slow frames in the preview window on your monitor happen while the video is being rendered (at least in my case). At end of rendering, the video played normal speed off the timeline. It will play full-screen if you select "full-screen" from Preview options.
              Be patient with rendering - on my computer (P3-1Ghz, 512MB RAM), it took about 6 minutes to render each minute of video from the timenline.

MSP6x has a feature called Smart Render. If you project settings match your captured video settings, it does not re-render the captured video portion - only changes and transitions get re-rendered. So you may be able to fiddle with your project settings to speed things up.

I learned all this the hard way - see my posting several lines below this one.

Comment

I used PCVCR for playback to record to tape. It has much more control over the video being played, and also played back with less hesitation and a seemingly higher resolution than any other playback method. But then I am talking about a Marvel G450Etv and Kevin has a G200 Marvel.

Incidentially, I have a Marvel G200 gathering dust if anyone's interested??

Ted
                Premiere PRO XP Pro
                Asus P4s533
                P4-2.8
                Matrox G450
                RT.x100
                45 GIG System Drive
                120 Export Drive
                Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
                Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                17" P4-3 HT
                1024 RAM
                32 MEG GForce
                60 GIG 7200RPM HD
                80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
                DVD RW/RAM

Comment

This is getting blasted frustrating!!!

This is what I'm coping with (see system specs above):

Captured about an hour's worth of video (Hi8 via Svideo) using PCVCR. 704x480, maximum quality settings. Ten-minute segments. Video looks great, no drops reported, plays back just fine IN PCVCR.

Have been evaluating MSP6 and Prem6 and both give the same results: Dropped frames like crazy ON OUTPUT, whether previewing from timeline or attempting to print timeline to tape.

Video segments created in each program (704x480, 29.97fps, Matrox MJPG) play back just fine IN PCVCR.

Tried outputting via AVIIO. Result: minimum 4 frames dropped within 30 second segment, maximum 30 frames dropped in 90 seconds.

Scandisk and Defrag capture and system drives. Same result.

This is the first time I've encountered something like this and it's causing me to lose sleep and hair! Suggestions welcome.

Kevin

Additional stats:
                  Maxtor 17 gig UDMA33, primary master
                  SAF CDRW, secondary master
                  Twin Maxtor 30 gig UDMA66's on Fasttrak 66

And now AVIIO crashes after just a few seconds with a "playback error"!

Time to format and reinstall!!!
                  Last edited by KRSESQ; 14 June 2002, 21:06.

Comment

Working...
                  X