Dell Interview - Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Interview - Help!!!

Well, I just got back from Austin from an interview with Dell and it went pretty good. So now I am up for a 2nd interview on Friday at 10 in the morning. The guy I talked to said they would pretty much drill me and said the interview would take up to an hour. So I'm nervous as hell. I really need this job as it pays starting out 13.25 an hour, and that's pretty good around here, esp. for a college student.

Anyway, what I have applied for is technical support for software/hardware. Mainly hardware though. I was wondering if you guys knew of any reading material I could use for things like IRQ's, resource settings, etc. across all the Windows platforms, esp. for NT 4.0. I am going to study my ass off for this and would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Try looking around :

and see what you find.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Hey, it's only an hour, can't be that bad.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey BuddMan, if you want to know anything and everything about that job then email me, trust me I know 100% more about that job than anybody else here.

One thing about the job is it's 90% more about how to deal with the customer than a technical job, all depending on which part of Dell Tech support your gonna be working on.
        Last edited by ZokesPro; 12 June 2002, 10:11.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Hey Zokes, I emailed you. Yeah, this will be a little different from what I am used to. The customers will be more from corporations and businesses than anything. Thanks for all the help and any more in advance.
          Last edited by BuddMan; 12 June 2002, 12:39.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
            The customers will be more from corporations and businesses than anything.
            Relax that means the customers won't have a clue what they're talking about or what they really want.

All the best for your Interview.

Wasn't it Dell that sold twin processor units with windoze 98 installed???
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

BuddMan: I sent you an email, and it also applies to ANY part of technical support.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I got it. Thanks for the pointers man. I sent another one asking a few more questions.

A thing I am having trouble with is getting information on allocation tables. I dunno the exact definition, etc. on what they are and was wondering if anyone could help me on that (on any OS).
                System Specs:

Comment

FAT does simply mean File Allocation Table, and it's just that - if you want, an index of where files are on the harddrive. The difference between FAT16 and FAT32 is just that FAT16 was limited in that it wouldn't support partitions over a certain size (2GB IIRC), and that cluster sizes would grow larger the larger the partition was, meaning that any file would take up a multitude of the cluster size, i.e. a 1 byte file would take up 16 KB because the cluster size was like that - a 17 KB file would take up 32 KB and so forth. With FAT32 cluster sizes are locked at 4KB AFAIK, and the difference is quite noticeable with windows due to the large number of small files.

All other file systems are beyond my knowledge, and the more advanced ones (journaling file systems) have some nice features, but are too complicated for me

AZ

P.S. I hope this is what you meant
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

That's kinda what I needed to know. I have a much better idea now of what I have to study.

But there's another thing that I almost forgot. I need to learn....how to tie a tie. Yes, sad but true. So um....yeah, anyone know??
                    System Specs:

Comment

Nope

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

This is the one I use
                        Oboy
                        Time to make the wafers!
                        Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                        jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Ok, I had a friend show me, hehe. He used the 4-in-Hand knot style. Well, this has all got me tired out. Time for some beer and the guitar. Thanks guys, I'll be studying some more tomorrow.
                          System Specs:

Comment

Ok, got a basic question, but I dunno what the answer is to it. Is Windows NT 4.0 plug and play? I can't find the answer to this....
                            System Specs:

Comment

If I recall right, some basic ISA Plug and Play can be enabled in NT4. Other than that... No.

Edit: So in short, that's a NO. See another funny Microsoft FAQ at: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q156344
                              Last edited by Tempest; 13 June 2002, 00:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X