USB mouse with Asus sux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB mouse with Asus sux

This is unbelievable! I've got an Logitech mouseman optical USB mouse used with my crap Asus K7V mobo. If doesn't move the darn mouse every 2 seconds it falls asleep ! Then I have to shake it back and forth so that it wakes up! This is annoying as hell, do crap Asus have some shitty sleep on the USB port? Or is it the nice VIA chips?

I suspect the mobo here, but why on earth must the USB port idle like this? It is VERY frustrating when you're stressed and writes some document with the user-non-friendly MS Word, since every once in a while you'll need to pick something with the mouse and then it sleeps...
    The worst is when playing GTA3 and a car is about to explode, since I've been driving then mouse haven't been touched and then the crap sleeps, so when I get out to outrun the burning vehicle I'll have to wake the mouse and usually this results in something not good.

Isn't there something that can be done?! Even if it is the mobo fault, it's the mouse that gets it!! It's already cracked and probably won't last much longer.

Hence, I can just imagine how well a USB keyboard sollution would work
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

a couple of things worth trying.

download the latest drivers for the mouse from logitech
    (it does make a difference)

with some via based mobo's you better off turning on ALL the USB ports even if you are not using them all

good luck

Comment

Just another VIA/USB issue....

Try VIA's USB filter driver.

Good luck!
      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

hmm, tried once that. But I saw that there were newer mouseware drivers out now, maybe they're better.

I didn't know you could turn on/off USB port, I've always thought they were on. Only in the bios have I seen enable/disable and there I have them enabled ofcourse.

Maybe I'll try and install the hellhole 4-in-1 drivers, haven't bothered to install them i w2k since it works just fine without the new-release-every-week crap via drivers...
        My system:
        | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

There is an USB filter driver? Maybe that's enough then so I don't need to install the 4-in-1

thanx maaan

the driver is here
          Last edited by lindberg; 12 June 2002, 00:48.
          My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

lindberg, did it fix your problem?
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'm still at work, I d/l the file to my server at home via remote console. Haven't tested yet, I'll put a message here when I've tested it (in about 10 hours).
              My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

If it don't work try Georges patches over at Viahardware.com that may help.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It's not an Asus issue. I've been using a USB keyboard/mouse combo on my Asus powered system for well over a year with no issue. I have also put together several Asus A7V systems with no USB mouse troubles, using the USB filter.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think he said K7V and I used to have one as well and I notcied that when I first got my USB mouse with that board it worked fine but I noticed over time that the mouse started to act wierd even though I tried it on other MOBO's and worked fine I had problems with my K7V. I don't think that its Asus problem though since the KX133 chipset was a total peice of crap in the first place but when the KT133+ series came out ***almost*** everything was taken care of.
                    What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

BTW I sold my K7V Mobo about 6 months after I got since it sucked so hard when it came down to gaming (big AGP problem in hardware and for some reasone there were never any walk-around bios fixes either)
                      What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

I updated the mouse drivers and installed the USB Filter. For the moment it actually seems as it works! The mouse haven't fallen asleep yet and this must be some kind of a record

It has worked sometimes before though, maybe I've had the USB filter installed then. But when I upgraded to w2k I was so tired of VIA and their crap drivers and since it seemed to work without them I didn't install the neither. The USB Filter seems to be something that is needed.

Thanx for pointing out the USB filter, it helped.
                        My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Hmm you are overclocking a bit and looking at whats burnt out on your computer suggests to me a motherboard fault more than anything.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The stuff burned is due to a grounding fault/potential difference between the TV and the Gfx-card. See my G400 Fried post regarding that. The sleepo mouse have been with me for a long time before everything burned.

The sleepo is still here, but it's a lot better. Now it only occurs when I game GTA3, i.e. when the processor is under full load.

As far as I know the PS/2 mouse doesn't sleep when the system is heavily loaded! Boy, do I love new technology...
                            My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

My Logi DualOptical dos lag/slow down HEAVILY when the system's load gets too high. Only happened once for me though (STUPID bearshare). My GF's Logi Cordless ball mouse did do this very often as well, most of the time on the desktop, much less in games (like Pharaoh, Diablo 2, or StarCraft). She used to use Bearshare quite much, closed it for playing though (system would become slow as hell otherwise).

This was with Logi Mouseware (newest version on my system), on K7S5A's (SiS 735 chip"set"). Both mice are connected through PS/2, mine at 200 Hz.

I've NEVER had problems like this with my trusty MS serial Mouse on my MMX166, neither with windows standard nor with MS drivers. Must be a Logitech problem... now, is it a hardware or a driver problem, or is it a problem modern interfaces have, that they don't get guaranteed CPU/bus time?

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X