My second IBM HD is dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My second IBM HD is dying?

Today I captured (AVI_IO) a short video with my Marvel G400. Pic Video, nothing unusual.
    When I finished the capture, I couldn’t exit AVI_IO. Ctrl+Alt+Del = BSOD and I was unable to restart Win XP.
    After a lot of try I discovered that my second physical drive, an IBM 40 GB, which is partitioned in 2 x 20 GB, Fat32 each, failed. The first partition was found but I was unable to access the second.
    Backed up the first logical drive I tried FDISK, SCANDISK, FORMAT. Nothing helps.
    Disconnected any other HD/CD but the faulty drive couldn't be accessed in DOS. Strange noise when the drive tried to read, bot nothing happens.
    Any ideas how to repair/repartition?
    Is the d*** thing died, finish, caput?

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Try the IBM Drive Fitness Tool available on their website. It'll test the drive and report back any problems, and/or (try to) fix them. Although it's best not to fix them, but send it back with the error showing (assuming it's not a trivial fix).

Comment

Can't reach the most of IBM sites

Time to buy Maxtor HDD ?

Fred H

Comment

Get WD instead... less failures than Maxtor
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Maxtor rulez! If you buy you don't need your ear plugs anymore, because they're quiet!

I've got both IBM drives and a maxtor, but hello world, the maxtor is dead silent.
          My system:
          | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
          homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

I already have a WD 15.3 GB. It works fine, and it did since 3 years ago, on two different motherboards (even on Epox 8K7A+). But my dealer says to be carefull with WD HDD on Epox motherboards.
            I've heard only bad things about the IBM HDDs. My was manufactured in Thailand. I bought it less than 10 months ago and I'll try to replace it by the waranty.

About the Maxtor: I need a safe harddisk. If it is quit it can't hurt.

My 3+1 chassis fans are louder than a HD

Thanks everybody for helping,

Fred H

Comment

Yup, I also got an WD, nothing to complain about that one neither, but the maxtor is more silent. And maxtor gives you also more hdd for the money.

I also got two seagate, but they really suck! Loud, both have bad sector, one stays in idle if it goes to idle mode.
              My system:
              | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
              homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Solved!

Hi,
                thanks everybody for helping me.
                Thanks to SteveC and the IBM Fitness Tool I fixed it and I am glad now.

Cheers,
                Fred H

Comment

Well, if had a WD fail on me (Sent it back under warranty, came back a couple of months (!) later, with a statement that nothing was wrong with the disk. However, nor me, nor my dealer was even able to format it - they probabely replaced the PCB, before testing the disks themselves; the disk did work upon return). Later, I had a Quantum 10K also failing, but this one started reporting SMART errors prior to the crash.

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

http://www.hogens.com/75gxp/

I myself have got 2 Seagate Barracudas, both are running VERY hot and starting to act weird (although no problems are detected by Seagate's diagnostics)...

Comment

I had an IBM 45GB HDD and got it replaced with a 40GB only after I found out that IBM has a repair tool that fixes these bad sector problems, I havn't had a problem with the replacment but I lost 5 GB because of it... I wish I got some money back or some type of bonus of some sort for the loss of 5GB (and I'm not being anal but that's enough to install even winXP). Anyway I got a WD 60GB in my main system now I would have to say that its noticibly faster than the IBM... My roomate has a 40GB Maxtor and his games load a bit slower than my and apps as well but now that he has DDR I'm left in the dust...

And for anyone who complians about noise... Quantum Fireball is by far the loudest, ontop of that can you hear the drive over the system fans... I doubt it unless you have your case onpen on your desk right beside your ears.

I have both a WD and IBM and they are totaly quiet unless I have my case open... get a Volcano 7 or 7+ (reduces your system fan noise by using an 80mm fan instead of a 60mm) and use no more than 3500 RPM case fans and you'll have one of the quietest PC's with anyone of those drives... BTW last thing is that Maxtor also has 5 year Manufacturer warrenty, the others 3 so its up to you.

Quantum the loudest driver I ever had but must say much snapier than other dirves. Anyway in PCMark2002 it seems that my WD 60GB drive totaly kicks everyone's ass on the web submitted results (like 150 to 200 points above anyone else unless of course they are using a WD drive) I get 900 something where as most get 700 something on the HDD test.
                      What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

Fred H,
                        The DFT might have fixed your problem for now, but if an IBM 60gxp or 75gxp starts to fail like that, it usually isn't an isolated incident, and you can expect more serious failures in the near future.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes start backing up on a regular basis otherwise if you've got anything important you may be sorry.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by {PainCresT}DAn
                            I had an IBM 45GB HDD and got it replaced with a 40GB only ....
                            Sorry to rub it in, but IBM Replaced my 30Gb 75GXP with a 40Gb 60GXP

Comment

Well I've got four IBM drives and the DFT tool has been run on three of them at least twice now. One of the reasons why I won't buy another but at least Hitachi have bought the Business. Pity really they used to make really good drives.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X