New Issue of Max. PC has Parhelia Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Issue of Max. PC has Parhelia Article

Hey just got my new issue of maximum pc, they even had a few benchmarks that were run on *Beta* silicon and Beta drivers, they mentioned not to pass judgement until shipping hardware is available. They included some creenshots comparing various antiliased methods including 16X Fragment AA and 4X FSAA on the GF4, I have to say the 16X Fragment looks a ton better. Theres literally *no jaggies* in the pic they included, very impressed. Im even more excited now They also mention next issue will have a full review of the shipping product (or should).

If anyone has any questions about the article let me know, overall the seemed pretty impressed.

Mike
    Shuttle SN45G, 2 x 256 Megs of Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 DDR Ram, 120 Gig Western Digital SE HD, 16x48x Liteon DVD-CDR Combo Drive, 128 Meg Retail Parhelia, nForce Soundstorm, Klipsch Promedia GMX

what was the benchmarks like? what was the estimated price?
    and did they mention different configurations of the parhelia?
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

BENCHMARKS BENCHMARKS BENCHMARKS

give us
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Hey lol, what was I thinking, shoulda just posted these to begin with. Apparently they ran the Quake III Benches at 1280x1024 @ 32 bit color, 3DMark 2001 was at 1024x768@32 bit color.

The system consisted of a P4 2Ghz w/ 512 Megs Ram.

No AA, No anisotropic filtering
        Quake 3: 72.1fps
        3dmark 2001 SE Game2 High Detail : 56.3 fps
        3dmark 2001 SE Game4: 21.1 fps
        3DMark 2001 SE Default Score: 7698

16x AA, no anisotropic filtering
        Quake 3: Would Not Run
        3dmark 2001 SE Game2 High Detail : 47.7 fps
        3dmark 2001 SE Game4: 15.0 fps
        3DMark 2001 SE Default Score: 6089

No AA, anisotropic filtering On
        Quake 3: 56.6fps
        3dmark 2001 SE Game2 High Detail : 45.5 fps
        3dmark 2001 SE Game4: 10.98 fps
        3DMark 2001 SE Default Score: 6526

16x AA, anisotropic filtering On
        Quake 3: Would Not Run
        3dmark 2001 SE Game2 High Detail : 40.1 fps
        3dmark 2001 SE Game4: 8.9 fps
        3DMark 2001 SE Default Score: 5241

Its an awesome article, they cover just about everything including bandwidth saving technologies (to some degree anyways), pick up a copy if youve got the chance,

Mike
        Shuttle SN45G, 2 x 256 Megs of Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 DDR Ram, 120 Gig Western Digital SE HD, 16x48x Liteon DVD-CDR Combo Drive, 128 Meg Retail Parhelia, nForce Soundstorm, Klipsch Promedia GMX

Comment

Also forgot to answer other questions, no real mentions on configurations yet etc, estimated price i believe is 300+ dollars, although I havent read the entire article yet, its a 5 or 6 page article so theres a good deal of content.

Mike

Comment

Hey....
            Can anybody caompare this to GeForce4 & ATI R200...??

Comment

Not particularly good...

Quake 3 on a GF4 Ti4200 @ High Quality - 1280x1024x32 run on an Athlon XP2100+ runs at 172fps...

That's with NO AA and NO AF

Comment

Hey the Geforce4 Ti4600 they review this month hit 102 fps in the Quake 3 Benchmark (the MPC Demo), so its not too far off considering its beta silicon/drivers.

Comment

how about GF4 in 3DMark 2001 SE

Comment

In 3dmark the parhelia benches didnt fare as well, the GF4 hit 10116, but remember that the drivers and hardware werent up to release quality yet,

Mike

Comment

Yep, that is pretty good for the Parhelia on Quake 3 then.

Also only a 21% decrease in performance with AF enabled. Not bad also for early hardware/drivers.

Comment

well, if it is very low clocked beta boards, then i think it looks good, the low performance drop with anisotropic filtering is a good sign indeed, it must be those extra TMUs thats doing their job.
                        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

lol i wish I could order mine right now, I have the urge to purchase it again.... I've got my nice tax return just waiting to be spent, really looking foward to the Parhelia.

Comment

Also a 28% decrease with BOTH 16x AA AND AF enabled is impressive

Comment

Yep, you defenitely need to see the pics they put in comparing 16x Fragment AA, it looks totally amazing, even zoomed theres litterally no jaggies whatsoever, theres absolutely no saw tooth effect... Making me more anxious as I look at the pics

Comment

Working...
                              X