This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First radioactive terrorist bomb??

According to bbc news and teletext the us arrested a known terrorist carrying a radioactive bomb. Nice world isn't it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

It's called a "dirty bomb". It's not a nuclear explosion, but the bomb contains radioactive materials. When detonated, it will release the particles, which would cause lots of health problems in the area, but not near as bad as a nuke.

As for the world...sometime you wonder what people are smoking to give them their delusions.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Re: First radioactive terrorist bomb??

Originally posted by The PIT
      Nice world isn't it.
      Sad.
      #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
      people do all day!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        It's called a "dirty bomb". It's not a nuclear explosion, but the bomb contains radioactive materials. When detonated, it will release the particles, which would cause lots of health problems in the area, but not near as bad as a nuke.

As for the world...sometime you wonder what people are smoking to give them their delusions.

Jammrock
        Yes but how long for the nuke it won't be long. Hopefully they'll get it wrong and blow there sick training camps up.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They can't make a bomb. They could steal one, or buy one from the underpaid guards at former soviet missile installations.

But let's be clear that it is far more difficult to fabricate a nuclear weapon than most people think.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

you are right there, Gurm.....

there is a problem with 'dirty bombs' too.....
            While the materiel required is probably easier to obtain (any heavily radioactive substance), it is very difficult to vapourise completely.... there is little point in making a small bomb with a pound of uranium round it.... it would need to be vapourised to ensure maximum spread of the contamination..... otherwise the crater would be radioactive, but little else.... The Sarin attacks in Japan a few years ago demonstrated this.... the 'misting' must be very fine to spread.

perhaps if the bomb was let off at altitude, and with sufficient force there might be an impact, otherwise it would be a terror scare, but little else.....

the only workable dirty bomb would be one manufactured by a state, with the technical resources to build one..... I would think...

regards
            RedRed
            Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Gurm;

Given the right machinery any decent physics grad student could make a serviceable nuke given some U238 or Plutonium. One does not have to use the more sophisticated implosion design (ex: Fat Man, W80) most people think of when they imagine nuke internals.

Making one is moderately easy, if a bit inefficient in terms of fuel usage (only 1.38% of the material was actually fissioned at Hiroshima), if you use the design typical of the suitcase bombs or Little Boy; you just jam two subcritical masses together using a gun barrel or shaped charges with a neurton source in the middle to assure detonation. BOOM!!

Those involved might poison themselves in the process, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for these morons.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 June 2002, 13:41.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                or buy one from the underpaid guards at former soviet missile installations - Gurm
                i thought the U.S. pays every year to be in control of all those installations.
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Unfortunately we got involved years after the USSR went belly up. At least a dozen of their suitcase bombs are missing and several hundred pounds of enriched uranium and plutonium.

We aren't much better. There are large quantities of missing enriched fissionalble materials here too. Enough to make several dozen efficient devices or several inefficient ones.

Neither optioin is particularly appealing.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

<i>"As for the world...sometime you wonder what people are smoking to give them their delusions.

Jammrock"</i>

Maybe they should smoke a little and calm the fxck down :/ (the terrorists)
                    System 1:
                    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                    Epox 8K7A
                    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                    SBLIVE 5.1
                    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                    3Com Hardware Modem
                    Teac 20/10/40 burner
                    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

A search on the web(
                      Last edited by Dilitante1; 10 June 2002, 18:44.
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

That's one of the longest-running fakes there is. It's not real. As soon as I opened the link, I searched for "bucket." Boom. Same fake.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hehehe....

The "bowls" only work if they're made of beryllium

A better source of material is "U.S. Nuclear Weapons, the Secret History" by Chuck Hansen.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

this is ironic, but sad.....

tom clancy's book Sum Of All Fears is going to be a film this summer, and is about terrorists making a nuke and blowing it up in America
                            Dell Inspiron 8200
                            Pentium4m 1.6
                            640mb pc2100
                            64mb gf440go
                            15" uxga ultrasharp
                            40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

I would belive that the ex-soviet nuclear sutcasebombs would be very atractive to Bin Laden & Co

Comment

Working...
                              X