X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Harvey's hopes for childhood

Paul Harvey Writes:
    We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made
    them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and
    homemade ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn
    honesty by being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car.

And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are
    sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and
    your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister.
    And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the
    room,but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him/her.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and
    that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask
    your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first
    crush on a boy\girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a
    stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.
    And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your
    Grandma/Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Hannukah/Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Re: Paul Harvey's hopes for childhood

Stop stop! Hold it just one minute.

##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### ##### ####
    ####################### ####
    ############################
    ###########################
    ##########################
    #########################
    ########################
    ########################
    #######################

Originally posted by Wombat
    Paul Harvey Writes:

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.
    And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.
    BOOOOOOO!!!! Beer is tasty! A nice cold Canadian hits the spot on a warm summers day.
    (I like beer now, not when I was a kid though)
    Last edited by ZokesPro; 8 June 2002, 11:35.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.
      Guess what Paul Harvey, not everyone thinks alike. People are different if you haven't heard before.
      And yes i agree on the Beer. I drink Beer sometimes because i like the taste of Beer (real Beer) on a hot day.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I think he was refering to drinking beer at a very young age, If that is what he meant then i agree with him. young kids are rarely mature enough to drink beer without getting very very drunk.
        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
          I think he was refering to drinking beer at a very young age, If that is what he meant then i agree with him. young kids are rarely mature enough to drink beer without getting very very drunk.
          True, but I meant at our age, I was kidding around.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Man, what a crock. Pot is not bad. If someone offers you pot they are not your friend?? Grrrr....I like Paul Harvey, but he needs to be a little more open minded.
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
            May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
            Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
            And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
            just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
            For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Buddman, don't forget that was in the context of younger people, and until the brain is mature all drugs - including caffine can cause problems, I don't think he was refering to adults
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Believe it or not, P.H. has endorsed medicinal pot. Its recreational pot he has a problem with, although he has admitted that the current war on pot has been an abbysmal failure and that other options need to be explored.

Don't diss P.H. I hope I'm that smart when I'm that age!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                  Buddman, don't forget that was in the context of younger people, and until the brain is mature all drugs - including caffine can cause problems, I don't think he was refering to adults
                  Well of course he wasn't referring to adults, but even at age 15 I think it is ok to smoke if you want to. It's much better than getting drunk and then driving and killing someone in an accident.

Originally posted by KRSESQ
                  Its recreational pot he has a problem with, although he has admitted that the current war on pot has been an abbysmal failure and that other options need to be explored.
                  The war on pot has been a failure because everyone, even law enforcement, smokes pot. It should be legalized. I think it's ridiculous you can go to jail with the charge of a felony for owning an ounce or more of weed (thank god that hasn't happened to me). What harm does it do to own weed and smoke it?? Why is it viewed as such a bad thing?? If anything, they should make stricter laws about drinking, because it can be very dangerous. Smoking weed isn't as dangerous by a long shot.
                  Last edited by BuddMan; 9 June 2002, 17:49.
                  System Specs:
                  Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Oh please. Smoking weed is no better than alcohol. It's just as dangerous, and impairs you just as much.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Weed is an intoxicant, same as alcohol. Physical/mental imparements are well documented. Mystical properties are strictly in the mind of the user, as with opium or mescaline or psilosybin or LSD or any other chemical you may consider. They are simply chemical compounds used to alter "normal" cognitive functions (not necessarily for the better).

As the Greeks said, "Everything in moderation."

Kevin

Comment

But even if you smoke a lot of weed, you still won't get into a car and drive like a madman and kill someone. Hehe, you'll probably just eat a lot and stare at the wall. And my statement stands: Alcohol is more dangerous. How many car accidents occur because of alcohol? Now how many because of weed.....hmmm.....
                        System Specs:

Comment

Smoking weed can also more or less permanently anesthetize your memory and reasoning processes. If, as you say, most people DO smoke it, there's one of the answers to why the world is so ****ed up.. because people are so ****ed up. It's worse for less intelligent people.. they have less brainpower to overcome the effect.

Comment

You have no documentation to prove this. There have been many studies done on weed, even by the government, to see what dangerous side effects it causes. The results on every test....none. These reports were never made public though because of one thing--the government. Smoking weed is safer than smoking cigarettes. This has been proven.
                            System Specs:

Comment

My documentation is personal experience. I have never smoked it, but have known several people before and after they started regular use. The difference is noticable.. and most of them vehemently defend it.. just as you do.

I have no interest in Government studies. I don't really trust that crap.. but I will defend my own experiences and perceptions.

Comment

Working...
                              X