I Need.....a Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need.....a Chair

Ok folks, not sure where to post this so I'll just do it here. I'm looking for one of the most important features for my computer setup.....a chair. I really want to get a good recliner type chair and was wondering if there were any good online or retail stores that sold any. My limit in getting this type of chair is $150 (and even that is stretching it). I've found that I will probably have a little money left over after building my system, so might as well put it to good use. Thanks for any info.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Don't try to save any money on the chair. Many people really forget that the things outside your PC are probably more important than the stuff in your PC. That is Chair, Mouse, Keyboard, Screen and Noise Level! Ergonomy is, at least for me, more important than performance.
    The old folks around here with CPS, hurting backs, tinnitus (sp?) or bad eyes might probably say more about this.

But then, we are matroxusers so i'm probably preaching to the choir
    Last edited by thop; 7 June 2002, 17:28.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I got my chair from OfficeMax. Mine was around $130. But there are a LOT of questions that you need to answer before you go shopping:

Armrests?
      If so, do they need to be height adjustable? Width?

Adjustable back? 2 position, or slide w/ lock, or gas?

Lumbar support? How much? Adjustable height? depth?

Fabric?
      Wheels?
      Do you lean? A lot of chairs will tip.

I got a chair made by Hon. Good stuff, and good warranty. I really abuse my chair, too. I'm 235lbs, and the chair has withstood over 350lbs.

I really wouldn't buy a chair online: you can't try it (and chairs are very personal), and shipping is likely to be high.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've already got the mouse, keyboard, etc, taken care of. All I need is a good chair so I can be totally comfortable. Right now all I have is something like a stool on wheels with no armrests or anything (well, has a back rest at least). Good for playing the guitar on though.

Also on the mouse, I do have the option for a wireless mouse, but I am concerned about the response time on it and changing the batteries. How often do you usually have to chang the batteries and is it worth going to a cordless one.
        System Specs:
        Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

thop will tell you that a wireless mouse doesn't lag. Everyone else will tell you they will, including every review I've read. I believe it too, from personal experience.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Inventive designs, technologies and related services that improve the human experience wherever people work, heal, learn and live.

BTW, found a place online that sells these at a "discount"

Last edited by KvHagedorn; 7 June 2002, 19:19.

Comment

"they yields"? Any place that tries to charge $2000 for a chair had better have better grammar than that.

Comment

Maybe I could just use the force and levitate...
                System Specs:

Comment

You could try my chair:

Only $20,000

MadScot
                  Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    thop will tell you that a wireless mouse doesn't lag. Everyone else will tell you they will, including every review I've read. I believe it too, from personal experience.
                    my old Cordless MouseMan Pro doesn't. if you don't want to believe it then don't

however a friend of mine got a Cordless MouseMan Optical and there I DO notice a lag. It is in general a horrible experience, skips all over the place (not only in games).

about the batteries: i change them once every ~4 months (good ones). recheargeables only last 1-2 months.

personally i think there is not much difference (if any) between cordless and normal. you just barely move the mouse anyway, so that cord doesn't really get in your way. i actually think the best thing is i can easily take my mouse to the bathroom and clean it and the desktop does look less messy.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
                      Also on the mouse, I do have the option for a wireless mouse ... How often do you usually have to chang the batteries.
                      On my Logitech cordless/optical I have to change the batteries about every 4 weeks! and those are Duracell AA (takes two).
                      My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I'll probably stick with a USB mouse. Apart from that, I have another question about the keyboard I will be getting. I'm getting a blue Flex Keyboard (http://www.pcmods.com/details.asp?ProdID=374), but I wanted to know if anyone else has tried these out and what they thought of them.
                        System Specs:

Comment

or one of these: here

Last edited by Dilitante1; 8 June 2002, 20:20.
                          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I'll never get anything else than my Cherry G83-6105 (the standard model, about ~15-20 EUR) Keyboard... simply the best cheap keyboard there is

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Heck Buddman!! I just replaced my old Lazyboy and put the old one in the garage. It would be perfect for the laptop

Paul
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X