Worst Motherboard in the World Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Motherboard in the World Award

Goes to the Abit VA6. I'm having loads of 'fun' trying to get it to work at the moment. It's only meant to be as a stop gap until my new Asus A7V333 arrives, but it's giving me grief!

For a start it's got the 686'A' southbridge, it's unreliable, it's performance is awful (especially memory), it won't run a celeron at 100Mhz FSB (Trying a Celeron 800 - at 533 (8x66) it runs fine, but any higher and no way.

Awrgh!!!!!! It's the second one of these I've had and the first time was just as bad, apart from that board ended up broken into a few pieces after I got really annoyed with it. Well, what do you expect - the AGP slot burnt out and took (admittedly crap SisS 6326) the graphics card with it! Smoke and everything then... I'm half expecting this one to do the same.

I daren't even try plug in my SB Live! God knows what will happen!

I have another candidate

Biostar M6TBA (440BX) is the world worst MoBo, where u only need to play "Rally Masters" in order to burn it (And the CPU along with it)!!!
    Amazing
    Stupidly enough I've done it 3 times in a row (just wanted to confirm my diagnosis).

To its defense I must mention that in all those burnings it never harmed my beloved G400MAX (Probably the durability of the G400).

------------------------
    Chen

Comment

Don't forget the PC Chips boards with fake cache.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I had an old pentium board, lets call it the CrapMaster 2000, couldn't change anything, even if i took all the jumpers out it would still remain exactly the same (as far as im concerned). It was clocked at 100MHz for the CPU (it originally had a Pentium 100) and when I dropped a P75 it would still run it at 100MHz. Tried changing the jumpers, nadda. Stupid board.

I eventually sold it but put a huge heatsink on it. The sytem ran fine none the less with the P75. M'eh!
        Last edited by ZokesPro; 7 June 2002, 12:50.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

A place I worked for one summer speced out some computers that were supposed to compatible with redhat linux. Sure enough they came with PCChips motherboards, the only brand listed as incompatible on the RH hardware compatability guide.

Of course I wasted at least a week trying to install linux with it crashing everytime halfway through the install (if it booted at all) on these things before I looked and saw they were incompatible.

Comment

Just swapped it for a trusty old BH6 and it works great! Performance for exactly the same system is up by about 25% too!

Comment

While we often criticise modern motherboards, I think Wombat hit a classic there - PC Chips suck. I've saw a few TXPro100s or similar. Oh dear
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I wouldn't know much about this.. I am incredibly anal about motherboards. I will go so far as to decline to build a new system if I can't find one good enough to suit me. This is one thing that you can NOT scrimp on. I just have no patience for crap. Especially the multifaceted crap a cheap motherboard can dish out.

Comment

The weird thing about PC Chips though -> Don't they own ECS?
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    The weird thing about PC Chips though -> Don't they own ECS?
                    Yes they do...
                    Athlon64 4800+
                    Asus A8N deluxe
                    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                    X-Fi Fatality
                    HP w2207

Comment

Abit BP6 gets the worst motherboard with a BX chipset award from me...
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Abit Kt133 Raid total shite.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                          I wouldn't know much about this.. I am incredibly anal about motherboards. I will go so far as to decline to build a new system if I can't find one good enough to suit me. This is one thing that you can NOT scrimp on. I just have no patience for crap. Especially the multifaceted crap a cheap motherboard can dish out.
                          Me too, I've still to buy a board with a non-Intel chipset. Still won't touch VIA

Anyone here bought a PCChips for themselves? /me slaps anyone who says yes

My next motherboard choice seemed to be getting out of control, but at least I know I'm not going to buy Abit again. Probably going to try Asus next time.

P.
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Asus has been good to me except for the VIA chipset in my current CUV4X-D. It doesn't like to run w/ AGP 2x w/ my G400. It can work, you just have to jump through a few hoops & install the drivers, service pack, and DX8.1 in just the right order. One other problem I have is that my floppy drive doesn't seem to work in Solaris. I have no idea what causes that...
                            But other than that it's been solid (even with 2 CPUs) unless I muck with certain bios settings.
                            I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Asus, but I don't think I'll be going with a VIA chipset next time.

Mike
                            Mike

Comment

Mmmm, My worst motherboard . . . Nope, can't recall any motherboard that rubbed me the wrong way.

I guess the worst was a Motherboard from a manufacturer named "Tomato" (I beleive). It was a motherboard for a Cyrix 686MX and the Cache chips died after a LOT of use.

I have had good luck with virtually all the motherboards I have brought, including a Gigabyte board, an Aopen board, an Asus board, even that Tomato board until the cache died.

As for ECS, maybe Pcchips can become a good motherboard maker. Its not like motherboards contain particularly expensive components anymore. (like cache chips) They even using a real chipset (Sis chipsets rock dispite Pcchips best effforts) this time.
                              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X