My G400 fried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My G400 fried

Yesterday when I was playing GTA3 frame rates suddenly dropped, or shall I say, the game froze a few seconds at time. The sound started to crackle and the compo completely froze so I did it the engineer way and shutted it down.

When I turned it back on, the tellie crackled and popped in the back (got my G400 hooked up to the scart). I powered off again, removed the second vga-connector. Turned the power back on and discovered that I no more have any picture in my G400

After gathering my thoughts and checking the damage I discovered this :
    • Secondary output on the G400 black and burned at the circuitboard
    • Picture in the tellie is totally white and the circuitboard around the scart-contact is black and burned
    • My brand new 3x240W Philips stereo which was connected to the tellie scart and the computer has no longer an working amplifier and can no longer read CD's
    • the sound crackled a lot from the computer, I suspect that my brand new Fortissio II card has also got a punch

Don't know about the rest of the computer but it seems to work, it beeped the "ok" beep when it started and the hdd seemed to start loading.
    I wonder what happened here . Maybe it's because the compo-tellie-stereo is not earthed together but there's no earth contact on the tellie nor the stereo.

Remains to see what the insurance company will insult me with
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

that's really bad news.
    looking on the bright side you have every reason to replace it with the new P!

Comment

You could try to RMA the card with matrox and get a new one. I'd be very suprised if the card failing caused your amp and TV to also break - it sounds more like a power surge or something...

Comment

Too bad the P isn't out yet and I'm without graphics card... It sure breaks my heart to be forced to leave the G400 but maybe I'll throw in a raedon 8500 LE with tv-out until pahrelia shows up :P

As far as I know it the closest I'll get to G400 with features but 10x better 3D performance.

There must have been some kind of potential difference between my computer/TV/stereo. But I've had it like this for ages without any trouble, but I do get electrical shocks when I touch e.g. the rca connector to the stereo.

I'll connect them all to gorund (PE) in the future, no more s**t like this for me.
        My system:
        | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Buy a cheapo Gforce MX and then you will really enjoy the quality of the P when it comes out and you won't have broken the bank in the meantime.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Lindberg dude do yourself a favor and have an electrician look at the wiring. If you have been experiencing electrical shocks then there has been for quite some time now an electrical fault causing this. A relatively small power surge (from many varying sources/effect) could have easily tripped up your rig. Sorry to hear.

Now find that PH#
            Last edited by Greebe; 7 June 2002, 07:39.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

In fact I have an bachelors degree in electrical engineering... But you seldom care to overlook your own stuff! I'll take a look at it. Seems as the soundcard got it also.

Running a chepo G-Fart MX200 now, boy it's slow! It's even worse than the G400! I would never have thought that...
              My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

You may be an EE (as am I, well, Comp. E), but that doesn't automatically qualify you as an electrician. When it comes to house wiring, you're not a trained professional in that field. Get someone who is.
                Not to be rude, but you hadn't even heard of grounding adapters.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Once you get your house wiring in order, check out Panamax surge supressors. They are the best ones around, and most importantly they have a lifetime warranty on all their products, which includes repairs/replacement of any attached equipment. (They do make good on this warranty in every way.. we sell the things and have had people with nearby lightning strikes blow out some very expensive equipment which Panamax paid for) They have 220v products if you do a search.

Comment

Should I suggest buying some MOV's of the proper size and installing them your self?... Naw would be much cheaper and too easy todo if you can solder.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

The main reason to get Panamax is for the warranty. No MOV will protect you against serious stress.. like a near lightning strike where one customer lost her 40" TV and woofer amps in both her speakers, PLUS the Panamax. In her case, Panamax paid for all repairs plus sent her a new surge protector. This isnt the only danger, though.. you could have a situation where the power turns on/off many times within a short period of time. My VCR's power supply blew because of this, and Panamax paid the $170 repair bill in full. Remember that when you are writing the checks to replace your equipment.

Comment

double ! Umm, think I might be qualified as an electrician since I've also got an technicians degree in the house wiring field, electrical power (don't know the correct name in English though). Proper grounding is what I need, I've nerver measured my outlets or grounding potentials since I've never have had any problem before. And I've had it this way for half a year now, even more I think.

I will install an UPS to help my server survive power losses and they also have built in surge suppressors, the one I looked at had 2 UPS'ed outlets + 4 transient voltage protected outlets. If something else happens it's the insurance companys problem, boy did their inspector cry when he looked at my case...

yes, and one more thing, this didn't happen because of my ignorance but of my negligence I'll take this as an lession now for the future, don't mess with the grounding.
                        Last edited by lindberg; 9 June 2002, 22:03.
                        My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Why Panamax Chuck?

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                            Why Panamax Chuck?
                            Just from experience dealing with them. They don't give you the runaround.. they just send you a check.

Damned useful when your homeowner's insurance carries a deductible which would probably make it useless it many cases..

Comment

Working...
                            X