Motion sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion sickness

Anyone else get queasy when playing some games?

I downloaded JK2 was was playing around for a little while when I became rather ill. I've had the same thing happen when playing JK1 too, not sure if it's something to do with the camera angles while weilding a lightsaber or what, but they both just make me wanna puke... literally.

I used to play CS for hours without a problem, UT is just fine, EQ isn't a problem either. I can fly Flanker 2.5 and do anything imaginable without getting a hint of nausea. And yet just 5 minutes of Jedi Knight and I've got to stop. I do get motion sick if I read while riding in a car sometimes, and I've never been in a plane so I don't know about airsickness.

I only get it if head bob is on. Most games will let turn you bob off/down, which fixes it for me...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

i get sick when i watch other people play...depends on the game though..

sometimes i get sick playing those online gamers who constantly bounce up and down like bunnies.. not naming any names though
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

i get motion sikness when i am in a mall but not in any other situation ...
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

I got sick in one part of JK2, where you are in smallish tunnels and the camera keeps on swinging around..... I was gonna puke on the keyboard.
          -Slougi

Comment

Heh, I tried turning off the head-bobbing, but the demo gave an error message saying somthing to the effect that it didn't have the non-bobbing config file. Turning off third-person when using the lightsaber really helped though.

Comment

You're kidding me....you can get motion sickness when playing games?? I've even played games on a 32" TV and have never got that.

But if you ever do get motion sickness, one thing that works well to cure it is smoke some chronic. It's helped me out plenty of times when I go boating in the Gulf (not kidding either, really does help).
              System Specs:
              Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
              May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
              Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
              And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
              just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
              For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

I remember when Tie Fighter came out, and OH did I get sick watching and even playing it
                all the stars moving all over OY!
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I don't have problems with 99% of the games I've played. It seems pretty much isoloated to Jedi Knight 1 and 2. Perhaps it's just my deep seated hatred of George Lucas seeping though, but then why don't I retch uncontrollably when I play X-Wing Alliance?

Comment

Man, I had this one professor who musta had ADHD because he was in constant motion. Now, I never get carsick or seasick. Ever. But man... Lecture was right after lunch, and I got motion sickness quite a few times from his movement around the stage. I finally just stopped going...

MadScot
                    Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Forsaken got me every time. Sitting further from the monitor helped a little.

Here's a thought: Are you sure your monitor is running at a decent refresh-rate? I for one *HAVE* to have mine at 85Hz. I often visit users PCs that are at 60Hz and wanna puke after about 60 seconds, yet it doesn't seem to bother most people. Generally people only see the flicker in their peripheral vision.

T.
                      FT.

Comment

Only time I remember this effect was back when Wolfenstein-3d came out, as it was the first FPS 3d (ish) game that I'd played (not counting LHX attack chopper though as it was too slow on an 8086 to provoke any sort of nausea!).

And then like Liz it was only whilst watching friends play that the screen started to swim in front of my eyes.

I do know others though that don't like the feeling when playing (particularly car racing) games - and they look ridiculous bobbing and weaving around the monitor/TV!

gnep
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I use 85 Hz up to 1280x1024, then 75 Hz at 1440x1080 and 1600x1200. 800x600 is at 100 Hz because the monitor makes a rather annoying high pitched whine if it's ran at 85 Hz at that resolution, unreliable KDS AV-195TF piece of junk.

Comment

Motion sickness????

hm.....

oh that feeling...

Never had it!

wait!!

Was it that weird feeling I had for a moment when i was flying over a car hood at 30-40 mph?

Well, the street stopped it instantly when I impacted.

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                            X