Clear All

• NTFS or FAT32?

Pros and Cons?
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    Thanks,
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Yeah that question was in my mind for some time now. Im using NTFS but for no particular reason i thought i will try something differant
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

If you do any vidcapturing you WILL want to use NTFS, because it allows files >2/4GB (an average capture of a movie here is 40-60GB). It's more stable (no Scandisks/lost clusters after each crash).

BUT: you only can access NTFS with Win2000 and XP (yes, NT too, if the respective upgrades were applied). No Win98 and/or Linux (access maybe possible with third party software here).
      And: IF something goes wrong it's a hell of a lot easier to recover data from a FAT32 partition / HD than from a NTFS one.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

I'd debate how easy it is or isn't to recover data from FAT32 partitions vs. NTFS ones.

But one thing is quite clear - drive sharing is infinitely easier with correct permissions set up. And setting up permissions is an NTFS thing, now innit?

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

NTFS is essential for video editing. I also find that NTFS volumes survive things that would have caused major problems with FAT of any stripe.

Yes, permissions in NTFS are very easy to set up. Handy when your 4 year old's system is on the network

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You can access NTFS partitions in Mandrake 8.2 At least I can access my NTFS formatted XP partition from within Mandrake 8.2
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I think NTFS can more effieciently pack files in as well, it just be me but the same amount of files seem to take less room on a NTFS partition than a fat32 partition(especially large partitoions)

the only reason I use fat32 nowdays if I have to have a parttion shared been windows and linux.

Comment

One reason...

Unlike FAT, NTFS is a journaling filesystem. Basically it keeps a log of what it's doing on disk so if your system crashes or the power goes out the chances of trashing the filesystem are much smaller. The log lets NTFS repair damage more quickly and effectively.
                This is why NT, etc. don't have to run chkdsk after a crash or cold reboot.
                Mike

Comment

One disadvantage of ntfs is when the system goes down and the bonzo hasn't backed up the data. Okay theres ways of getting round it but nothing is easier than slipping a boot disk in and moving the data of a fat32 system.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, NTFS it is!
                    In fact the convert process was amazingly fast.
                    Now I need to decide about our shared RAID.
                    thanks,
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X