Power Supplies what makes a good one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supplies what makes a good one.

Part of the infinite loop problem gets blamed on the power supply. Now what makes a good power supply. I use Enermax and someone said that they suck on 3.3v line. However looking at most the specs many manufacters are very similar. I had a good trawl through the recommended AMD supply list and the only one that stuck out was the Pc Power and cooling.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

enermax's +3.3v is fine. their +5v line was notoriously weak due to the use of low quality parts for a while. personally i have an Enermax 350W and it works fine for the most part, though it does have some issues. I will probably replace it with a Sparkle soon.

the ones that i recommend are Sparkle Power (never seen a problem with them, although their high end units do not move much air from the case, they only use a single fan design), PC Power and Cooling (heard good things about them), HiPro (they are not high performance units... and have problems with fans dying... quick splice later and its fine... not good for what you are probably looking for).

Antec power supplies (Channel Well manufactures them, iirc) are quite popular, but i've seen my share of them that die. there are a couple other power supply manufacturers that are popular but i can't remember them off the top of my head.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

What makes a good one? Line stability & longevity aside, its the total current capability on the 3.3V & 5V lines that matters most. I've seen PSUs with the same wattage rating, but with 10A different capability on one of the lines!

My 8500 (in combination with my A7M266 and XP1700+) is very sensitive to the power supply. I tried 3 different 300W supplies, 2 of them gave terrible flickering on the 2nd head, 1 was much improved. It wasn't until I swapped to this 'cheapy' 375W PSU that it was cured completely.

T.
      FT.

Comment

What are the most common side effects of a PS that isnt cutting it?

MadScot
        Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by MadScot
          Instability. Flakey behavior. a power supply connects to all devices in the system, so it could manifest itself in many ways, from affecting the system as a whole to just the devices plugged into it... from a hard drive thats developing bad sectors to a stick of memory that brings up errors and fails memory tests. or it could be something like the computer has to be turned on, then reset in order for it to work.

lots of things could be symptoms, but the system hanging/rebooting suddenly or refusing to post are two of the most common ones (from my experience).
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Dead Motherboard if AMD cpu...

If intell the motherboard wont die but the power wont be enough and some parts will lose power causing everything from no sound to bluescreens and hard freeses....
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost

or it could be something like the computer has to be turned on, then reset in order for it to work.
              My major interest is that I only have a 235W PS with all of the devices below, and I have almost no probs. About one time in forty my system will hang in POST, but a restart will boot fine. Am I riding the edge of my power limits? I want to upgrade to a PowerLeap 1.3 ghz celeron. Will this put me over the edge?

MadScot
              Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by MadScot

MadScot
                Well if you're running a Via chipset and XP it can appear as the infinite loop error.
                Other effects I've seen are slower hard drive access it was quite interesting watching the 12v line loose a volt when the drive was spinning up.
                Crashing system falling over when a new device is fitted etc etc.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

PC Power and Cooling makes some really top notch power supplies...but at a premium. I used the 425 TurboCool for 2 years with no power related issues (well...the second one was perfect, the first one is a long story). It now resides in a dual Athlon MP system and is working like a champ.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I looked at them on the web and they really do seem to handle the amps. If I was in the market for psu I would probably try them.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Sparkle makes good power supplies,as does Antec and Highpower.
                      It's not so much the wattage as the quality of the power supplied

Comment

I'll vouch for ANTEC. I have a couple of their 430 units and they're solid.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

a good pwer supply will deliver plenty of power on the 5v and 3 volt rails alone.

most voltage regulators on motherboards run off the 5volt rail, so make sure the 5volt rail can supply plenty of current, becuse if it can't you will have stability problems.

things to check, under full load the 5volt rail stays over(and close to) 5 volts. Also the other voltages should stay on spec as well.

its hard to get a good reading but, you voltages should not fluctuate much, if they do that means it is not very good quality.

I bought a cheap 400w, which is working okay. But the 5volt rail is sitting 4.82 and every time i try to crank my cpu up a bit more It goes down a bit more(and it starts crashing). So 400w sounds like plenty but it is not suppling it were its needed, at the 5 volt rail.

I prevously had an open 300watt PSU but that got cooked by my system.

1.4G thunderbird, 3x 7200rpm HDD's, DVD, CDWR, geforce 1,epox 8kta3+ 512MB, millenium 170.

I cooked the the 300wat when I had 2940UW scsi and 3 extra scsi hdds.

moral: make sure the 5 volt rail can supply plenty of current
                          (1.4G TB draws about 40 amps, mainly off the 5 volt rail)

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                            Its hard to get a good reading but, you voltages should not fluctuate much, if they do that means it is not very good quality.
                            This leads too the next question which is how far do you trust software to give you the correct readings.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've used Sparkle and Antec, no problems at all.

I've had 3 out of 4 power supplies in cheapo Enlight cases blow out on me. Replaced every single one with Sparkles.
                              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                              X