R300 over at anandtech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R300 over at anandtech

It says it is safe to assume that the R300 has 256-bit memory bus, i was under the impression that only the parhelia and P10 was gonna have it.

No, ATI to.....
    I think Parhelia will have problems to folow up this card....
    IF it is on a 0.13micron process.......

Comment

Matrox should really hire some of those people from ATI and nVidia. They have some of the best damage control personel I have ever seen.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

yup!
        they are very good at hyping products months in advance.
        Last edited by TdB; 4 June 2002, 11:57.
        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Yes, both ATI an nVidia is masters of "false leaks" probably because of their stocks....

But rumors are saying that NV30 won't come to the market before January 2003, and nVidia will launch NV28 this summer/fall (GeForce4 Ultra)

Comment

I wonder how parhelia will compete with geforce4 ultra, it will probably be clocked very high, but 4 pixelshaders/vertexshaders is hard to beat...

Comment

You beat me to it, Joel
              I'm with the ugly guy below me

(It's amazing how many threads I kill with that line )

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
                yup!
                they are very good at hyping products months in advance.
                Lol, you guys have been hyping about NextGen Matrox cards for YEARS, so .. ? And Since the new flash site matrox launched, i have only seen couple pics about the board and some surround gaming videos. So, Matrox knows how to HYPE too.

Hmm.. i just wonder who will get their cards to shops before.. ATI or Matrox. Seems that Matrox wont have the "speed crown" at all... too bad.

My money is on ATI. Matrox might be able to sell couple cards before ATI, but big scale sales it will be ATI all the way.

PeTe

Comment

Originally posted by PeTe

Lol, you guys have been hyping about NextGen Matrox cards for YEARS, so .. ? And Since the new flash site matrox launched, i have only seen couple pics about the board and some surround gaming videos. So, Matrox knows how to HYPE too.

Hmm.. i just wonder who will get their cards to shops before.. ATI or Matrox. Seems that Matrox wont have the "speed crown" at all... too bad.

My money is on ATI. Matrox might be able to sell couple cards before ATI, but big scale sales it will be ATI all the way.

PeTe
                  Well MURC has nothing to do with Matrox...we are a user site and not a "fan" site.

In reguards to Matrox hyping its product..... They had an offical press release last month and should have reviews with in the next couple weeks and should be able to BUY the card next month. When can you get the ATI card? Maybe in the fall. They still haven't had an offical press release saying oh this is our next Generation Video card Called x. ATi is leaking out info on an Aphla card where the final specs arent nailed down yet. Why are they doing this? So they can steal some of Matrox's thunder and keep their investors happy..which is one thing Matrox doesnt have to worry about.

As for the speed crown...does it matter if you can get 100 or 150 Fps on your computer? I don't care as long as its smooth and and at least 60 fps AVG when playing a game. Matrox has stated this isnt a GF4TI500 killer...what it is a card that can run all the eye candy on at high rez spread over 3 screens and still look/run good. Thats the problem...everyone looks at how high it can get FPS, but how does the game run if it peaks at 150 FPS and spikes down to 40 fps when you get into some heavy action in UT or something?

As for Sales....Matrox does quite fine for itself. Its Privately owned and only answers to its owners. last time I checked they where doing fine, even though there was alot of rumors going around with their finacnees back 6 months ago. They never been the number one seller in the market, but they are OLDEST Video Card manufacture and have made a profit every year of their 25 yr + existance.
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

well, there is a difference between what we murcers do, and what matrox do.
                    so lets sum up what matrox has done, to pre-hype parhelia:

they demoed the card at GDC for dx9 displacement mapping techdemos.
                    they put up a fancy flash-teaser on their website, about a week before announcement.
                    unofficial comments from Haig, don´t know if that counts

thats it! they haven´t done anything else.

what have nvidia and ati done:

Nvidia has officially announced that the nv30 will be "revolutionarily different", yet it seems like nv30 won´t be out the next many months, (and they announced this close to the parhelia announcement).

Ati demoed doom3 on unannounced hardware on E3, (and unlike GDC, E3 is a public show, with lots of press coverage), stil I think they deserve credit for this, their hardware is appearently in good working condition, but it is still IMO hyping alot more than matrox has.

And of course we murcers has done alot of hyping, just check out: www.soontm.com however i guess even the most hyping mucers was surprised to see the sheer amount of hardware sites that belived those hoaxes, about half of the parhelia previews was illustrated with the fake triple-head card, for example.
                    I have always considered those hoaxes as internal murc jokes, rather than a fanboy-hyping-machine.
                    Last edited by TdB; 5 June 2002, 07:52.

Comment

10 layer PCB..... Wow.... That will be expencive, Anand also belives that R300 will be 0.15micron........

8 pipelines in 0.15 micron..... That will be a warm bastard, and a 10 layer PCB will requiere alot og power!

Comment

TDB, you forgot the maybe most effective "hype" done by ATI: through the voice of J.Carmack, saying something in the line of that the R300 is the currently fastest card running Doom3.

Nevertheless, if they were able to have a running hardware to demonstrate Doom3 running, I think the R300 is not too far and so the hyping is at least a bit understandable. IF the above rumors regarding the NV30 (out only in 2003) are true, however, then any talk about this chips specs now is just stupid.
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Get your facts straight... ATI wasnt showing off R300 on Doom3, it was ID showing off Doom3 [ with the card that run the game best, like JC said, no kickbacks there, they just picked the fastest card they had available and it happened to be R300 even when the game is designed on NVidia cards ].

Secondly, those pics were taken from a VIA promoting AGP 8X and R300 happened to be the ONLY 8X they could get their hands on [ even Anand suspected that VIA wasnt supposed to let people see R300, maybe they made a mistake, who knows.. ].

Edit: Quote from [H]:

"All seemed to be pretty well till this morning when ATi realized that VIA was showing off the next-gen ATi R300 card in their suite here at Computex as reported by Anandtech yesterday. The card disappeared pretty quickly from the VIA booth at the hands of an ATi bandit. We have good information that ATi is beyond pissed about the situation. Heck, all VIA was doing was showing off the 700MHz DDR card running stable with an 8X AGP bus on a VIA KT400 reference board."

So pics of R300 werent supposed to LEAK, it was VIAs mistake..

So theres your "leaks" and "hypes".

And btw, i wouldnt be surprised if you could get a R300 in late July/early september.

PeTe
                          Last edited by PeTe; 5 June 2002, 23:07.

Comment

OT: Oh, did you read that JC's comment that they made a mistake on that Doom3 show.. they had some problems just before the show and the settings were left to MEDIUM QUALITY in all the fuzz...

PeTe

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
                              Yeah, I heard about that. But now there's a rumor going around that it wasn't the R300 running Doom3, but instead the RV250.....argg, too many cards...
                              Chap, that rumor is not true. R300 was the card, there are not many samples out, but a few do exist, and Carmack did get one to show off D3 with.

VigilAnt
                              VigilAnt

Comment

Working...
                              X