• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitachi buys IBM HDD unit for $2 billion

Guess they couldn't take the heat

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Pocket change

MadScot
    Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Well since I wasn't intending to buy another one of theres it doesn't really bother me. It will be interesting too see if they can make a go of it.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I wonder if IBM's HDD patents came with the package? IBM has great HDD technology, just crappy QC.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          I wonder if IBM's HDD patents came with the package? IBM has great HDD technology, just crappy QC.

Jammrock
          I second that. Now the question is what about warrenties are Hitachi going to cover these??
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock

Jammrock
            Yes, the patent portfolio was included in the deal. IBM will still continue to develop HDD technologies. Maybe they're on the brink of something that will obsolete current technologies.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I presume that Hitachi will also do the warrenties then ????
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                I presume that Hitachi will also do the warrenties then ????
                I would be very surprised if it was handled any differently.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Sorry, but quite old news : http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/24896.html

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
                    Sorry, but quite old news : http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/24896.html
                    Wrong Steve. That article refers to the earlier proposal of a joint venture. IBM has now decided to let Hitachi take it all (after retaining a 30% ownership for three years). Some more details ... http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/3394839.htm .

Comment

Working...
                    X