Super Video CD from NTSC signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Video CD from NTSC signal?

I have captured NTSC programs at 352x240 /30fps and burned VCD's with my G200 marvel tv.

If I capture the same NTSC programs/shows at 704x480 30/fps,
    will converting them down to 352x240 /30fps for VCD burning give higher quality vcd's??
    I have read that NTSC signals are 352x240. so that is shy i wonder if capturing at 704x480 will give yield higher quality vcd's
    (VCD's for ntsc are burned at 352x240)

I have an 80GB hard drive on order.
    mike

After some more searching, I think i found the answer to my own question.

here is the link.

mike

Comment

Verrrrry long story made short.............. maybe.

Depends on your original signal quality, plus the quality of whatever software you use to downsize, & when you do the downsizing in your workflow (I have had marginally better luck with *some* software & *some* codecs, feeding them the full picture and letting them throw out whatever data they don't need).

luck,
      mikie

Comment

Mike

In general I agree with the article. However, if you do much editing (titling, transitions other than F/X), I suggest that ONLY hi-res should be used, to be converted to lo-res later. You will get much smoother effects because the inherent artifacts will be half the size at 704 x 480.

I suggest that you take a short, good quality, clip, capture it twice, at each res, add some edits and then convert to VCD and simply compare the results on a TV. I think you will be surprised at the difference.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
        X