Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD workshop VBR

Anyone tried the VBR in DVD workshop?
    When selecting it, it doesn't allow to set a max, avg or low bitrate.
    It only shows one bitrate and no indication of what it is.

Of course if you try to use a previously MPEG2 encoded file with another encoder using VBR, DVD workshop automatically re-encode the file.

Ulead should really put an option to prevent DVD workshop from re-encoding.

Otherwise it is a very nice prog.

right7

Hey

Don't do a lot with mpeg 2, since at the lower bitrates winmedia 8 &/or DIVX seem to outperform it. I have seen a bit though re: making your DVD layout, then replacing the VOBs.

Would that be something that might work? Know it's a pain to encode twice, but if it's the only way to go...

mikie

Comment

DVD Workshop will re-encode the files only if the bitrate for the project is lower than the mpeg files you imported. So for example you can use tmpgenc to create a 2-pass vbr SVCD file at 2300 and then in DVDWS pick the high quality SVCD template (2500) when creating the disc. It should not re-encode your high quality mpeg created by tmpgenc.

There's an official description of the process on Ulead's FAQ page for DVD workshop.

Fred

Comment

fberger,

thanks

would that work for DVD also?

encode at VBR 5000 average and pick DVD workshop 8000 template? what about the max that the encoder will create.
        I suppose the max have to be below 8000.

Comment

I have not tested it with a DVD yet, my Pioneer A04 is on its way in, but Ulead's site does not mention anything different between SVCD and DVD. I know it's the case with SVCD.

When you click on "Make Disc", select the last item (customize) and select VBR instead of "Constant" under "video Data Rate". That should take care of the max vs. average bitrate issue.

Fred

Comment

I tried and it doesn't work....
            Workshop re-encodes the VBR all the time
            I guess it is not designed to handle VBR much except for the material workshop does encode.

right7

Comment

Working...
            X