16:9 problem while TV-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16:9 problem while TV-Out

i have a problem trying to play DivX movies that are for wide-screen when i try to do a TV-Out. the movies (4 to Tango, Star-Trek: First Contact, etc) play fine, but i noticed that both end of the screen got cut off to fit on my 4:3 TV. my setting for DvdMax is aspect ratio 4:3 : source from window size(something like that). i tried window source too, but didn't do much. what's the difference between these 2 anyway?

also, what are the options underneath it is for anyway? i can enable and disable them and i don't really know the difference between them.

lastly, is there suppose to be a big quality improvement when i move the slider to the right side that's provided with the DivX codec? since i am using the TV0Out.. again i don't notice the difference. maybe it's just my TV.

anyway, thanx for any response in advance

------------------
    Glarec
    ------
    bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Glarec
    ------
    bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

All TV's will overscan the image signal. This is caused by the filtering of the video input signal into the TV.

Your computer monitor will not do that since the signal basiclly stays in its digital format and is scaled to your screen. So, you are basically seeing more than what your are supposed too.

Obviously, TVs have varying amounts of overscan depending on the nature and quality of the filter used. So, the picture will be different on a different TV.
    Abit BX6 Rev.1
    Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
    192 meg RAM, CAS2
    13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
    6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
    HP8110i 4x2x24
    Pioneer DVD-104
    SB Live! 1024
    USB ZIP 100
    G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
    Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
    YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

You might want to set the DVDMax options to "always scale" instead of 4:3.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

thanx for the reply guys. i guess i'll have to find a better tv to play if i want to see more

dr.mordrid: what do you mean? i tried every settings under dualhead dvdmax and nothing changes.

btw.. what are the options on the bottom(4 of them) for anyway? didn't do much for me.

Glarec
        ------

Comment

Sometimes the video will shift or the display won't be properly scaled at 4:3. Setting it to scale takes care of the problem.

The other settings are not to be played with under normal circumstances ;-)

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

i am using win2k and i don't have that setting
            Glarec
            ------

Comment

Glarec,

i'm using a very similar configuration to yours, but i can't get the DVDmax to work properly, so i will be very thankfull, if you would give me a short description about the:
              - Matrox-driver and bios,
              - DVD-player and engine,
              - the settings of the prg-s,
              that you are using. (My problem: the playback on the monitor is perfect, but it is jerky on the TV.)

Thanks for your time and to everybody, who tells my an opinion.

Emptyhead

[My config: BP6 2x400@400, G400 DH 16 MB, SB Live 1024. OS: W2k.]

Comment

Emptyhead:

1) bios 1.5-22(i didn't upgrade to the latest, like they said, if it's not broken and you don't see any new features, don't upgrade)

2) driver 5.06
                3) dvdplayer - ms mediaplayer
                4) setting, dualhead clone, dvdmax, or zoom checked, and use dh dvdmax checked
                5) under dh dvdmax options: preserve aspect ratio 4:3 and detect based on video window size. everything else unchecked.
                6) what's prg-s?

i had problem with divx playback where the sound wouldn't sync with the picture and the picture would speed up a few frames every few sec. i tried everything and nothing works. i installed alot of stuffs(including mediaplayer 7beta.. big mistake) and end up crashing the hell out of win2k and couldn't get it boot. so i finally reformat and reinstalling everything minus the win2k sblive! driver(had bad luck with it. and sound quality isn't all the great), and everything ran smoothly all the sudden.

hope that helps

------------------
                Glarec
                ------

Glarec
                ------

Comment

Glarec,

thanks for everything!
                  In the meantime i've figured out something else. There is maybe a driverproblem under W2k with the DVDMax-function. At the weekend i've de-installed the W2k and put W98 for a while. With the same programs that i've tried under W2k (PowerDVD, WinDVD, Cinemaster) worked the DVDMax fine. (No lost frames, audio and video in perfect sync, perfect 16:9 on a 4:3 TV, etc.)However: i've only made tests with region2 PAL DVDs.
                  So i'm wondering when will Matrox release a new driver to us? (And MS an SP1)...

Comment

emptyhead:

all i can say is i am still waiting impatiently for a good win2k driver.. *twiddle*

Glarec
                    ------

Comment

Working...
                    X