Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why its not good to make an 1967 Impala fly

A good friend just sent this to me. thought it was interesting

The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smouldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally figured out what it was and what had happened. It seems that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off - actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra "push" for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a long and straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO! The facts as best as could be determined are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit the JATO ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles from the crash site. This was established by the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly, would have reached maximum thrust within 5 seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well in excess of 350 mph and continuing at full power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The driver, and soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, causing him to become insignificant for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for about 2.5 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne for an additional 1.4 miles and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet leaving a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock. Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth and hair were extracted from the crater and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Epilogue: It has been calculated that this moron nearly reached Mach I, attaining a ground speed of approximately 420 mph.
    www.lizziemorrison.com

A good candidate for a Darwin award...
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Yeah I have heard about that before. I bet you they now have to put a warning label on those rockets so some other idiot doesn't do something this stupid.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Tis a bit old this one I thought it was one the Darwin awards at one time.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

no, it was at the urban legends page...
          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

This was originally sent around in a chain email around 1995 (at least that's when I got it first), claiming to be a darwin award candidate. It never actually happened, but it's an excellent story . See http://www.snopes2.com/autos/dream/jato.htm for details.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

My dad was in a Hercules C-130 that had JATO's on them. He says it's quite the feeling when you take off. They mainly use them for short take off's. It gives a hell of boost for a plane weighing about 155 000 lbs (with cargo) so you can imagine a 2200 lbs car!!!
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I once saw on TV when they experimented with using JATO's on a Hercules not just for take off, but for landing too! Had something to do with the Iran contra thingy. I guess they were planning on flying this thing to wherever the hostages were, get real low and set off the "landing" JATO rockets. The plane would stop almost on a dime. Then they do whatever they needed, pick up the hostages, and use the main JATO rockets to get back in the air. The test video was really impressive, although they fired them off a little too high in the air and the plane hit the ground rather hard.

Comment

I saw that same show Jon. Their first attempt was quite funny, since they nearly came to a complete stop about 15 feet above the runway, then slammed down and smashed the landing gear. Once they got the timing right it was quite impressive though. I don't remember the exact stats, but it was something loony like take off or land in under 100 feet. They could probably land in the Home Depot parking lot without a problem.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Yep. Urban Legend.

It's really amazing the amount of stuff that is actually complete Urban Legend but repeatedly masquerades as "something that actually happened".

No offense, Lizzy.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      Yep. Urban Legend.

It's really amazing the amount of stuff that is actually complete Urban Legend but repeatedly masquerades as "something that actually happened".

No offense, Lizzy.

- Gurm
                      But if they did put JATO's on a car the story might be similar. (in some ways) I doubt any civilian has access to that kind of material anyways.

Comment

Darwin Award: JATO Rocket Car: The Arizona Highway Patrol, when they came upon a pile of smoldering metal imbedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road, at the apex of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable

I think will answer your questions

Dan
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Yep. Urban Legend.

No offense, Lizzy.

- Gurm
                          aah please.. no offense takin.. i just had never heard about that before true or not. just thought it was interesting
                          www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I consider the story to be more of a depiction of what could happen, I don't really care if it is an urban legend or not, if you haven't heard it before than it is quite the story!

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                              so you can imagine a 2200 lbs car!!!
                              You aren't familiar with the 1967 Impala, are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X