Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New monitor: excellent 17" or decent 19"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New monitor: excellent 17" or decent 19"?

I decided to post this in Matrox hardware because eventually the monitor will join two others on the end of a Parhelia in a Dual Hammer system.. but in the meantime I need to choose just one. Price IS an issue at this stage although it won't be as much of one when building the system later on.
    To begin with it'll be my second screen to go on the (blerrgghh) dual display of my laptop (15" SVGA+), which will be used particularly for watching DVDs - hence the extra size of the 19" would be good. However I'm leaning more towards Flatscreen 19" for the main display and two decent 17"s for the secondaries.. 3x 19" would probably be a little over the top.. haven't excluded 3x 17" yet either..

Suggestions please..
    Last edited by a13antichrist; 31 May 2002, 06:37.
    We seldom attribute common sense except to those who agree with us.

In my experience with all machinery and electronics, cheaping out never pays off.

Comment

I'm not talking about "cheaping out". I'm talking about the difference between a good 19" or an excellent 17" - in any case it's nothing to do with the cheapest to be found.

Comment

What's the price range that we're talking about?

You can get an excellent 19" Cornerstone from Monitorsdirect for ~$500 usd.

amish
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

A top quality 17 inch is going to be easier on your eyes than cheapo 19 inch.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

We're talking about $250-400. And as I said, we're not talking about cheapo 19", but instead "decent" 19" - that is to say, an average-above average quality monitor. I never mentioned absolutely-lowest-price-you-can-find.

Comment

CORNERSTONE TIME!!!! You will find that many MURCers love Cornerstone monitors. Cornerstone's top-of-the-line 19" montior run $289 USD plus shipping. I have last years model of this monitor and it is AWESOME!!

For $199 you can get a slightly lesser 19" Cornerstone monitor:

Be sure to check out the "Click &Compare" link. It allows you to compare 2 monitors together, including several non-Cornerstone brands.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'm not sure if I can get Cornerstone in Paris.. ... I'll have a look though..

I'm looking at an Iiyama LS902UT at the moment..

Comment

I'd go for the Iiyama 19", those are good monitors at an affordable price (although my 22" was quite expensive)
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Also make sure to check out the Philips 109P and Samsung 900NF. Both go for between $350-$450 depending where you shop. Both have BNC inputs and absolutely rule...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

For more information contact Sales@DisplayTechnology.eu.com

For direct contact call -
                      In Gremany Marina Zijlmans at -+49(0)89 63 02 20 34

For other Euro Zone countries call -
                      Paul Simpson at -+44(0)7976 612583 or
                      Alex Black at -+44(0)7799 672867

Jammrock
                      Last edited by Jammrock; 1 June 2002, 07:21.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The Cornerstone P2450 is what I have lined up for purchase as soon as next payday rolls around. It'll go great as a secondary monitor for Parhelia.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting a 19" LCD for desk space reasons, but are their mounting arms for CRTs? If so, I might just go for a CRT due to the limitations of LCDs (response times, native resolutions, etc) and cost. I just don't want a bulky monitor to be sitting on my desk all the time, and mounting it on an arm (or whatever) would be great and solve all of my probs regarding the subject.
                          System Specs:
                          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

BTW, this is what I will be getting if I get a 19" LCD. http://www.icwworldwide.com/ultra310.htm#witharmsabove
                            System Specs:
                            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                            May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                            Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                            And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                            just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                            For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Just use a small TV wall mount bracket. Should hold the monitor just fine...
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X