Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote from Carmack on Parhelia

I know some of you were looking for this so here it is:

"Doomcenter has a story that John Carmack has ran Doom 3 on the Parhelia but was specifically told that he cannot comment on it by Matrox. "I have Doom running on the Parhelia, but Matrox has requested that I not comment on it until they are ready."
    So now we know, maybe when the card is released sometime next month (crossing my fingers) will we know the actual comments by Carmack. Any card that can run Doom 3 above 30fps will be the card to OWN. And no, the Geforce 3 Ti500 does only 30fps at best going by what is coming out from all the sources. "

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Don't release it next month I've got too pay my car tax.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Re: Quote from Carmack on Parhelia

Originally posted by Helevitia
      I know some of you were looking for this so here it is:

"I have Doom running on the Parhelia, but Matrox has requested that I not comment on it until they are ready."

Dave
      Wow, ATI and nVidia were gagging to be the first to display doom at E3 and Matrox have said no! I wonder why?

Regards Michael
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Maybe because they want to be sure to have it displayed properly and on final silicon.
        It would be a great dissapointment if they had a crash or bug during the showing @ E3....
        They are just being very careful.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Or, more likely like Carmack has allready commented, ATIs nextgen card runs Doom 3 best at the moment.

Matrox has the advantage on paper at the moment, if carmack commented that its slower on Doom 3 than ATI/NVidia future cards, Matrox would loose a BIG advantage that it currently has.

PeTe

Comment

or maybe matrox wasn´t satisfied with doom3 only running at medium detail...

rumors about insufficient opengl drivers is the last thing they need, right now.

or maybe the alpha boards arent fast enough.
            Last edited by TdB; 31 May 2002, 05:52.
            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Carmack's video card comments were cleared up online, as either he was misquoted or wasn't clear in his original comment. He said that the next-gen ATi card is better at Doom3 that the GeForce 4 Ti4600. It was merely a comparison between ATi and nVidia. Since nVidia probably doesn't have silicon to hand out for their next chip, I doubt Carmack has one to comment on (as you know nVidia would let him comment, for the PR boost).

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                Carmack's video card comments were cleared up online, as either he was misquoted or wasn't clear in his original comment. He said that the next-gen ATi card is better at Doom3 that the GeForce 4 Ti4600. It was merely a comparison between ATi and nVidia. Since nVidia probably doesn't have silicon to hand out for their next chip, I doubt Carmack has one to comment on (as you know nVidia would let him comment, for the PR boost).

Jammrock
                acctually, it was against a "GeForce4-Ultra" of some sort, it wasn't a shipping card but it wasn't their true next-generation card.
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Right DGhost- a highly overclocked GeForce4 was what he has said he compared against the unnamed ATI card used for E3. He also said something about using the highest performing card he currently has available for the demo though. (Whether this means that the P wasn't as fast or not isn't stated, since he's obviously under NDA from Matrox, and even if it IS as fast or faster than the ATI, he may not be able to use it in public demos yet).
                  "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

hmm, i will be interested in how the Parhelia does perform in Doom... and also if surround gaming will be a realistic possilbity with it (something i do doubt, but wish for )

Carmack is a guy who you really have to read what he says in order to get the real picture. he commented on how for current generation cards the GF4 was faster than the 8500, that ATI's next gen part is the fastest part, that NVidia is 3-6 months behind ATI because of the X-Box, and that there is some really good stuff coming up, but he cannot discuss it due to NDA...

gotta love a guy who can say so much and never really reveal anything except that things are gonna be interesting
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I would say the ATI R300 IS faster than the Parhelia, otherwise he would have run Doom3 on the Parhelia. There is no way in hell Matrox would ask him not to use it if he wanted to.

The Parhelia is stable enough for Matrox to show UT2003 on it, so it should be stable enough for Doom3.

Then again, the Parhelia will be out in 4-6 weeks, and the R300 might be 4 to 6 months away, so its not supprising that the ATI card is faster.

Ali

Comment

I find it surprising that the R300 is still 4 to 6 months away but its far along enough to demo Doom III.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

keep in mind that the R200 OpenGL Fragment shader pathways have already been coded for. an R300 could more than likely be easily coded for as it most likely maintains these functions or uses similar. if nothing else it could be running using the R200 code path and just being really fast at it...

the Parhelia, on the other hand... Matrox's OpenGL layer may not be finished, may not be stable, etc, especially with the fragment shader pathways.... plus carmack might not have had time to code a renderer for it...

there are a lot of different reasons things could be this way...

Comment

im not too sure whether it was a r300 at e3 ive heard it might of been a rv250, not sure if it this rumour is true though

Comment

I'm also leaning towards an R250 card ...I do not believe the R300 is ready yet.

The R250 is said to be rady and will come out when the Radeon 7200 stops selling in volume.

Why wasn't Doom 3 run on a parhelia ? maybe ATI payed Carmack a lot of money to run it on a non discloused ATI card.

Just look at the speculation it has generated .. removing attention from Parhelia and onto ATI and a GFX card which we might not see in several months.

Clever .....
                              Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 1 June 2002, 06:16.
                              Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                              incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Working...
                              X