Carmack: New ATI Card Superior to Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmack: New ATI Card Superior to Nvidia

“The new ATI card was clearly superior. I don’t want to ding NVidia for anything because NVidia has done everything they possibly could; but in every test we ran, ATI was faster.”

Heres the link at MSNBC

I'm curious to find out his remarks about the Parheila...if he has any....

Anyway chauk this up as good news for people who don't like Nvidia and now they'll be eatting a bit of crow in the next couple months with the new M card and now ATi
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

From the forums on Beyond3d, I infer that he is still under NDA regarding the Parhelia. Still, all this is and the SIS Xabre is going to rapidly drive down dx8 parts over the rest of this year.

gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

i wonder if the r300 use the same codepath as the radeon8500, this would mean that he had already optimized the game for the r300. the radeon8500 already had a better suited feature-set than the gf4ti.

that could also be one of the reasons, why he didn´t used the parhelia at E3, that the game at that time was better optimized for the ati-cards, simply because he used the radeon8500 optimizations for the r300.

or maybe the r300 was simply better than the parhelia.
      Last edited by TdB; 29 May 2002, 06:16.
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Yes, things seem really NOT fine with Nvidias nearer future. Tough competition by ATI, most likely Matrox, maybe even 3DLabs in the high-end / fps-fanatics area and at the same time the Xabre beating the MX440....
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

Hmm.....

If Carmack is still under NDA it might be because his covers development. Interesting.....

Didn't NVIDIA lose the X-Box account?

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Didn't NVIDIA lose the X-Box account?

Dr. Mordrid

Far as I know they haven't....MS and them have been both going at it over pricing of the NV2 chip though. And one of the Rumors about the Xbox 2 is that MS is developing the Hardware to be x86 compatable..but that doesnt hold much water since it would cost a small fortune to develop the stuff

Comment

A mass-produced, fully-integrated PC wouldn't be that expensive - especially with the console subsidy.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

hey!

wouldn't this be something ...xbox 2 w/parhelia 512 graphics???

cc

Comment

Or my PC with Parhelia-512 graphics? That would be something too
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

or my kitchen internet appliance, now how 'bout that, eh?
                    System 1:
                    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                    Epox 8K7A
                    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                    SBLIVE 5.1
                    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                    3Com Hardware Modem
                    Teac 20/10/40 burner
                    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

My bet is that R300 will be faster than Parhelia, but hey, it never has been about Matrox being THE FASTEST card out there. And nobody knows when these cards will be released..

Nice that you guys can gloat about the FASTEST card, when nobody has even seen single REAL test on the card. Sure it will be faster than R8500/GF4, but what about its REAL competition, NV30&R300... thats a different story alltogether.

Come ooon Matrox.. release the card so you will be number 1 .. atleast for a while.

PeTe

Comment

I would say the parhelia will be the fastest DX8 card ever released, at least once you pup the eye candy up.

If the NV30 and R300 dont beat it in speed (which I think they will) then they will definately beat it in features, simply because their transister count will be higher.

If we look at the cards available on the market, or soon to be available, we have many DX8 cards. The ATI 8500, probablythe RV250, the Geofrce3 and 4Ti, and probably the NV18 soon. Then there is the SiS Xaber and the 3dLabs X10.

Thats lots of DX8 cards available for game developers to target.

If we look at DX 9 cards comming, we have 2.

Ali

Comment

what if nvidia refresh the gf4ti at 0.13micron and pump up the clock("gf4 ultra" nv28?), how will the parhelia compare to that? parhelia has 4 pixelshaders, but gf4ti has only 1...
                          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

I bet its going to boil down to this:

The Parhelia will be the Fastest DX8.1 card out there

When the R300 and NV30 come out it will run neck and neck with them till DX9 games come out, but by the time DX9 games are widespread we'll have the Parhelia refresh on .13 and full DX9 complance.

I'm really starting to wonder about Nvidia these days....looks like their 6 month product cycle is going to crash horribly when the R300 and Parhelia come to market....they are stuck in the brute force role...up the MHz and hope for the best. The Parhelia seems like it will be more efficent using memory then Nvidia does with their cards.

Originally posted by Ali
                            I would say the parhelia will be the fastest DX8 card ever released, at least once you pup the eye candy up.

If the NV30 and R300 dont beat it in speed (which I think they will) then they will definately beat it in features, simply because their transister count will be higher.

If we look at the cards available on the market, or soon to be available, we have many DX8 cards. The ATI 8500, probablythe RV250, the Geofrce3 and 4Ti, and probably the NV18 soon. Then there is the SiS Xaber and the 3dLabs X10.

Thats lots of DX8 cards available for game developers to target.

If we look at DX 9 cards comming, we have 2.

Ali

Comment

But then again if Dx9 games support displacement mapping etc. then Parhelia could well be the fastest card in those products.

Full implementation of Dx9 by major gaming companies is distinctly to Matrox's advantage since they are first out of the box with features that make the other companies culling techniques look very lame.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 May 2002, 06:29.
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X