Will the wait ever end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the wait ever end?

I am so tired of waiting. I need this card to give me something to do. I also hear that Serial ATA mobo's are already in the works, woohoo! Between that and the new generation video cards, it will be great in 2003. With all those USB 2.0 ports and ieee ports. I don't even have anything that uses either one of those ports yet. I really want a digital camera w/ firewire but I want to wait until they get rid of tapes and strictly record on DVDs. Otherwise it's not worth it. WEll, I guess this took a huge nose dive off track didn't it. Sorry. I am jsut bored waiting for the one and only..."P"

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Helevitia:

Hitach has a camera that records dircetly to DVD :
    We are sorry that the page you are looking for cannot be found. The page file may have been removed, renamed, or is temporarily unavailable.

specs of the current model:
    We are sorry that the page you are looking for cannot be found. The page file may have been removed, renamed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Dansdata has a review of it:

(pricing in April 2001: US$ 1999.95)

Just search for "Hitachi dvdcam" on google.

edit (on the Hitachi faq for dvdcam):
    2. How many models are available?
    3 Models, DZ-MV270A with 3.5” LCD, 1.1Mega pixel CCD and USB2.0 capability, DZ-MV230A with 2.5” LCD and 1.1Mega
    pixel CCD, DZ-MV200A with 2.5” LCD and 680k pixel CCD
    3. What are the prices of the three DVD-CAM models?
    DZ-MV200A: MAP $899.95, DZ-MV230A: MAP $999.95, DZ-MV270A: MAP $1299.95
    --

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the Nikon D100 digital photo camera to hit the market, the Parhelia, ...

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 29 May 2002, 01:13.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I want to wait until they get rid of tapes and strictly record on DVDs. Otherwise it's not worth it.

Why is it not worth it?

Roman

Comment

I'd prefer a cam that records to a holographic memory cube

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sorry, can't post a link for such a device as of yet...

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I think I'd rather use tape for my digital recording (in the camcorder*). Isn't there a high probability of any vibration causing recording issues with the optical disc cameras?

On the other hand, I want an affordable, and most importantly, highly compatible, DVD burner (rewritable preferred, so I can pre-test my creations) for in my PC. I'll be using something like this in the future, to transfer my taped DV for home viewing and archival. Right now CDs are too limiting (there are players that will read either / or VCD and SVCD formats, but both of those still sacrifice quite a bit of data in the name of fitting a home movie on the disc), and current DVD technologies are limited because of both the costs and because of lack of compatibility (not to mention the standardization issues not yet resolved).

Maybe in another year or so, I'll finally have what I want?
            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
            Gainward Ti4600
            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

There are camcorders out right now that record to DVD, and they currently suck. They are more susceptible to motion, and the battery life is pretty bad. Also, the media is more expensive.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know of atleast two camcorders that record to DVD but it's too expensive and they dont have all the features I want(HDTV, widescreen, and some other things). Also, to try and get this back on track, did you guys read the comment by John Carmack re: fastest card for Doom3? I wonder if he tested out the Parhelia? Here is the comment:

"NVidia has been stellar in terms of driver quality and support and doing all of the things right",says Carmack, who has been an outspoken evangelist for NVidia’s GeForce technology. "For the past few years, they have been able to consistently outplay ATI on every front. The problem is that they are about one-half step out of synch with the hardware generation because they did Xbox instead of focusing everything on their next board. So they are a little bit behind ATI. I told everyone that I was going to demonstrate Doom III on the best hardware, and there has been no collusion or kickbacks or anything like that going on. Our objective is the technical merit The new ATI card was clearly superior. I don’t want to ding NVidia for anything because NVidia has done everything they possibly could; but in every test we ran, ATI was faster."
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

John Carmack is an idiot.
                  Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Ill take a camera like this http://www.sonystyle.com/digitalimag..._PC120BT.shtml that uses the mini dv over one that uses a DVD. theres no way you could make a camera as small as one of those handheld mini dv cams if it used DVD. The only posibility is if they came up with 3" dvdr media like the 3" mini cdr media. however a 3" disk is still bigger then a mini dv cartrage.

Comment

Yeah, sure; John Carmack is an idiot; but one great-game-programmer-enthusiastic-and-unbiased idiot…
                      What was necessary was done yesterday;
                      We're currently working on the impossible;
                      For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                      - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                      - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                      - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                      - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                      - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                      (Server)
                      - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                      - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                      - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                      - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

You can think of John Carmack whatever you want, but he knows what he's talking about.
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
                          John Carmack is an idiot.
                          hmmm, when you write cutting edge real-time 3d graphics engines for 10 years, changing the way the public both plays and views video games games multiple times, and can write a fully real time lighting engine that performs well, i believe that even if you conceivably could be an idiot you are still a t-rex's head beyond everyone else.

the guy knows his stuff, plain and simple. also, he tells it like it is. no bs, no beating around the bush, no brand loyalty, he just spouts the truth. an idiot? i think not.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I can't find the quote again, but Carmack hinted very strongly that he has an alpha version of the Parhelia. I think the problem is that he's still under NDA, since he said he wasn't allowed to comment on future cards.

We've only had a chip announcement so far. If I were to make a guess, he's bound to silence until the actual card announcement has been made.

Having said that... I'm also of the opinion that Carmack is one of the least biased people around the joint. He speaks pretty from his experience when he says one card is better than another. It's not like he is one of the people who has to pander to a particular company to get support. They flock to him.

Comment

FiringSquad.com said Carmack had a Parhelia, but was unable to comment on it, as he was under strict NDA. Carmack has traditionally had a very good relationship with Matrox. I'm sure once the Parhleia is officially out and his NDA is up that he will comment about the Parhelia.

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X