New Realvideo Codec RB8 - It looks incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Realvideo Codec RB8 - It looks incredible

I just dowloaded Reals latest version of Realproducer and encoded a video using their latest Codec RB8 that they have developed with Intel. Even at 512kb second the results were impressive and the speed of encoding was awesome. I'm not a professional in this area so would like to hear from some others as to what they think. If you read the press releases Real are suggesting at higher rates it knocks the socks off MPEG1 and MPEG2. OK so it's proprietory but I can live with that.
    http://www.realnetworks.com/promos/prodplus8beta1.html

[This message has been edited by Wyntha (edited 27 May 2000).]
    NickT

Do you have a link?

------------------

Get paid to surf http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=MAC649 it really works. Free Money.
    Get paid to surf http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=MAC649 it really works. Free Money.

Comment

All is so quiet on this topic. Surely someone else has tried it and found it pretty hot stuff.
      NickT

Comment

Hi, try this for downloading: http://proforma.real.com/rn/tools/producer/index.html#
        I'm just downloading the 4.5 Mb file: RealProducer_8.0_Beta_Setup.exe
        Let us try it.

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 01 June 2000).]
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Is it a Codec?
          If you are a webb publisher then it's a nice little toy.
          If you intend to produce video, I mean home video, then search an other "codec" and other "toys".
          Anyway, I made a 136 Kb .RM file from a 20660Kb .AVI original clip. Not bad for a medium quality slideshow.

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 02 June 2000).]

Comment

Wyntha

Yes, I tried it and came unstuck. The source material was a 7.5 min AVI file which I had previously streamed with v. 7 quite successfully. It rendered the first pass and then displayed an error message of the "contact vendor" flavour, before the second pass. I'm in contact with Real to try and find out why, but too early to give an answer yet.

------------------
            Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Again:
              Don't try 704x576 PAL. Even 1/2D are giving a poor slideshow, not a video.
              The codec was not registered on my Win98 via the Controllpanel/Multimedia/...Codecs.
              Is it for creating videos or only for webb?

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 02 June 2000).]

Comment

As far as I can see it produces multi-bit streaming output suitable I guess for both web and video. I might show my ignorance here but if one produces a 1 MB second output file and then simply play it up through Realplayer in full screen mode then the output is as good as MPEG1 or better. These files can be stored away on cd-rom for future.
                NickT

Comment

I've done a little testing between DivX and RP8 and it seems that RP8 does indeed bring better results at the same bitrate, DivX tends to "block up" more. But DivX is still the better compressor becuase it isnt limited to 512k/s and it can make files at a 1600k datarate for a half hour at around 250 megs (Using Hi-Motion) while MPEG-1 does 1150 at 250megs for a half hour. You also cannot specify an exact bitrate with RP8 with audio or video.

Comment

Ah, but 512kb is a limitation of the basic version. Once you download the Plus version you will find you can go up to much higher bitrates and it is then you begin to see the quality differences and speed at which RP8 works. It'll cost you a few dollars for the Plus version and at present you'll need to purchase Producer V7 first to get access to the beta of V8. No problem though as you'll get upgrade to V8 once it's released in final version. At least that was the situation the other day when I looked.
                    NickT

Comment

I'm very impressed of this codec, it has a high potential. ..If only someone can isolate and crack it...

Comment

Working...
                      X