Dualhead gaming possible on Parhelia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dualhead gaming possible on Parhelia?

Howdy all. One of the most hyped features of the new card is surround gaming. Everything thus far has shown this with 3 monitors, either adding FOV, or adding more screen space, like that space game people had screens of.

My question is this, will I be able to use two monitors to get any advantage in gaming? For example would I be able to have the main display on monitor 1, and extend my FOV to the right with monitor 2? Or have a map of the city open on monitor 2 while I play on monitor 1?

If the game supports it, it should have the same dualhead functionality of the Gxx0 series. There is a full list of games that support DH at Matrox's site.
    And you would also be able to run games that support triple-head in dual-head mode, but you would not be able to extend your FOV in just one direction. Your view would be centered between the screens...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well... I am not a beta tester of a Parhelia card, but my guess is you won't be able to expend the FOV with only two monitors, especially in shooter games... because when you are facing the center you are basically looking at your monitor's frame, which I don't think will work very well. However, like the pervious Matrox products, Parhelia with two monitors can probably be able to open up manus on another screen. But then Greebe has posted an Imperial Galactica III screenshot on Parhelia, which shows two screens with FOV and the third one in another view http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33208
      Any idea people?

edit hehe Kruzin is too fast BTW i just looked at the image closer... NVM the Imperial Galactica III is ran with three views so forget about what i have said
      Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 28 May 2002, 16:52.

Comment

I think you'll be able to have the FOV cover 2 monitors just fine. There are people here on MURC that play UT on Gxxx's with the view across two monitors.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hmm, that's too bad. The games supported by dualhead are of the types that I rarely play. Not a whole lot of first person shooters on there, whereas surround gaming seems to fully support at the very least quake engine based games. Guess I just have to suck it up and pick up another 17" monitor.

Comment

with one monitor for your rear view
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Rear view would be supremely awesome.

Comment

RSN and rear view would be good in tomb raider,
                But it would truly be a disturbing feature in DOOM 3

Comment

Hahaha!!!

Comment

serious sam has native support for dualhead, cutscenens and textual information goes to the second-head.
                    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Working...
                    X