Stupid IRQ's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid IRQ's

I can't enable my serial port without it screwing up my ATA100 BIOS. It tells me it can't find the BIOS and therefore I can't boot. So i disable the serial port and it works great. I'm assuming it's an IRQ problem since I tried to manually assign IRQ's to different PCI slots and I have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks and much appreciated.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Just go into the bios and try different irq settings and memory settings for the com ports. It sounds more like memory being mapped to the wrong place to me though.
    Also make sure the pnp bios is set to yes and then reset resource configuration if you have that option.
    It may also be worth seeing if theres bios upgrades for both the controler card and the motherboard bios.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If you've got a recent motherboard and WinXP, you might be able to turn APIC mode on in the BIOS. That'll give you 24 IRQ's instead of 16.

Comment

I've experienced the joys of shuffling PCI cards to get the right IRQs many a time. Win2k/XP seems pretty okay with having multiple cards on the same IRQ, 95/98 doesnt.
        About all I've ever found you can do is shuffle the cards in the slots or alter the BIOS allocation (but it frequently isnt clear what slot it relates to in BIOS and slots seem to share an IRQ between 2 or 3.)
        Or you could get a motherboard with Compaq BIOS, as my old Prolinia P51xx and Deskpro 2000 systems seems to setup IRQs automatically far better than anything else I've owned.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

If you move cards around you should still reset the resource configuration data in the bios.
          Other things you can do is also load up the bios defaults as this can also sort out the problem.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Wha I did was tell the BIOS that IRQ 3 & 4 were reserved for ISA devices(even though I don't have any ISA slots) and that worked! I can probably un-reserve IRQ 3 since all I need is IRQ 4 for one serial. Thanks again.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
              If you've got a recent motherboard and WinXP, you might be able to turn APIC mode on in the BIOS. That'll give you 24 IRQ's instead of 16.
              I'm not familiar with this. Sounds interesting. How does it give you 24 IRQs?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia

I'm not familiar with this. Sounds interesting. How does it give you 24 IRQs?

Dave

HTH

Rags

Comment

I found out about this over at www.asusboards.com when I was checking up on the new motherboard I bought (TUSL2-C). I was getting wierd scratchy sound on with my SBLive! in Everquest in certain situations, and figured the problem was due to IRQ sharing that was virtually unavoidable due to the two onboard USB controllers and SMBus eating up three IRQ's. Since I run Win98 I ended up having to rearrange my NIC and soundcard and force the NIC to IRQ 12, but it still didn't fix the problem. Turns out it was actually caused by the memory system getting saturated by AGP 4x texturing out of system RAM. Just switched to 2x and everything was fine. I wanna Parhelia, this G400 MAX is beginning to get rather tired.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                    Also make sure the pnp bios is set to yes
                    Microsoft recommends that you set this to no / disabled.

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

(Valid for W2K as well)

Does anyone know why Microsoft recommends that ?

Some BIOS sites like http://www.rojakpot.com/ and like http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/bios2/1.shtml
                    both recommend to enable it.

a quote from lostcircuts :
                    Most of us have some experience with IRQ conflicts, which, in fully loaded systems, can become a constant source of grief and the desire for more IRQs can be found on basically all bulletin boards throughout the web. One alternative solution is to implement a hardware IRQ distributor or IRQ expansion chip / arbiter. ASUS is doing exactly this with their proprietary ASIC found on most of their boards. Keep in mind though, that, in order to enable this function, it is necessary to enable PnP OS Installed in the BIOS which effectively eliminates the IRQ sharing from the main level of the chipset and assigns it to the ASIC chip.
                    Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 27 May 2002, 14:04.
                    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                    incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek
                      Mmm you post didn't get quoted.
                      If you're using acpi Microshaft say set to no. I did see a reason somewhere but I've never notice it make much differance.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                      X