Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W2k upgraded, but how to share drives & printer? IPC$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k upgraded, but how to share drives & printer? IPC$?

Well, I took the leap to win2k (ok, I'm a little slow )
    But, now I can't get my shared drive and printers connected to Becky's 98 machine.
    I have the drive & printer shared with full control to everyone.
    We are set up in the same workgroup behind a Linksys router.
    I get a request for an IPC$ password.
    I don't even know what that is. I tried the admin password on my machine but no go.

Something tells me it's simple, but I can't figure out what.
    TIA
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

First right click your MyComputer icon and select Manage.

Next go to the of Local Users and Groups/Users menu and add Becky's logon name to the Users list. On a home system it's probably safe to add her as an Adminstrator. This will also give you the ability to manage your system from hers. You do this in the "Member of" tab. Set her password to never expire.

Next go to the Control Panel and open Users and Passwords. Browse to the Advanced tab and click on the Advanced User Management/Advanced button. In here right-click her name and select "Set Password". This password should be the same as used in her Windows logon. If no password is used on her system leave this blank.

You'll also have to load in a set of Win98 drivers to your Win2K system for her system to use. In the Printers property dialog go to the Sharing menu and click Additional Drivers, check the appropriate box and load 'em into Win2K.

Also make sure both systems are using the same Workgroup by checking their network property sheets.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 May 2002, 07:08.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

No joy Dr. M
      I still get a request for an IPC$ password if I try to access any shared resources on my pc from hers.
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can use Google yourself too, so you've probably already found these ones:

Chris Knight, Artist, Creative, Entrepreneur, Art Model, Photographer, Drone Pilot

And on Microsoft's pages:
        Browsing Shares on a Windows NT Workstation Windows 98
        Jamie Brooks posts the following problem.

The issue is about accessing shares on a Windows NT workstation from a Windows 9x client and receiving a popup asking for the password to IPC$. Here's what Jamie says:

I have setup a small Windows NT-based LAN. On the LAN, I have 6 Windows NT Workstations and 10 Windows 98 Workstations. The problem is when I attempt the browse (access) the shares on NT Workstations from a Win98 workstation, I receive a message telling me I have to supply a password for the IPC$ share. How can I fix this problem? I want to be able to view/access the shares on the NT Workstations without having to enter a password? Is this possible? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks for the help,

Jamie Brooks

And here's what John R Buchan had to say.

If it can be assumed from your comment about "logged onto the Windows NT Server" that the server is a domain controller and you mean that you logged onto the 98 machine with a domain account? If so, then the Windows NT Workstation you are attempting to connect to would have to be a member of that domain (or a trusting domain) to be willing to accept authentication of domain accounts.

Brief description of Windows NT's authentication procedure for incoming connections:

Win95 is a bit quirky about the way it passes account information when attempting to make a network connection. If there is a value in the "NT Domain" field (Control Panel / Network / Client for MS Networks / Properties), Win95 will pass this as the domain (even if "Log in to NT domain" is disabled). If the "NT Domain" field is blank, Win95 will pass its workgroup as a domain.

Window NT's quirk is that each Windows NT machine (with the possible exception of domain controllers) believes that it is a domain (in and of itself). They maintain their own local security, their own user database, and are capable of authenticating logons, locally.

When a Windows NT client attempts to connect to a remote server, it will pass the account (username password and domain) of the current user. If the current user is logged in locally, Windows NT will pass its own name as the domain.

Note Windows NT allows you to specify a different account when making a remote connection. If you have specified a different account, that information will be passed instead.

Window NT's authentication procedure

When Windows NT attempts to validate an incoming connection, it first looks at the domain field. If it recognizes (trusts) the domain, it will pass the authentication through to a domain controller for that domain. If it doesn't recognize the domain, it will attempt to validate the account against its own local user account database.

In either case:

1. If the username and password match an existing account, the connection will be completed as that user (assuming that account has permission to make the connection).
        2. If the username exists, but the password doesn't match (or the username doesn't exist), the 95's user will be prompted for a password for the IPC$ share. If the user enters the correct password for that account, the connection will be completed (assuming that account has permission to make the connection).
        3. If the username doesn't exist, but the Guest account is enabled and has sufficient privileges on the Windows NT server (any Windows NT machine sharing resources), the connection will be validated as Guest.
        4. If the username doesn't exist and Guest is disabled, the 95's user will be prompted for a password for the IPC$ share. No matter what password is entered, the connection will not be validated, since the account doesn't exist.
        You can see what is happening by enabling Success and Failure auditing for Logon & Logoff on the Windows NT server. Check the Security event log, after attempting a connection.
        Edit: When I used NT 4.0 with ME I don't remember doing anything else than making a user with that name & password onto NT and possibly checking "log onto NT domain" under "Client for Microsoft Networks" somewhere in the Control Panel.
        Last edited by Tempest; 26 May 2002, 08:18.

Comment

Thanks guys!
          It's always something simple.....
          I had her password wrong.
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Here Comes the Killer:
            It actualy is explained quite literaly in W2Ks help files...
            It's where I found the solution when it was making me wanna go Crazy!
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              ...It actualy is explained quite literaly in W2Ks help files...
              LOL
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

don't you just hate it when that happens

luck cal
                another dawg basking in the sun

iwill xp333-r, xp2500@ 340ddr :need better ram

Comment

Working...
                X