Excessive SHOCK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive SHOCK!

“Or I broke the power connector off this IBM DTLA, but I still think there a possibility to salvage Data…”

A customer came in with an IBM DTLA 46GB drive with the power-connector broken off!

The customer said that the Hdd had failed during a game he played and he had snapped the game cd in two pieces and thrown it away when he thought that the game had caused the failure…

A game that makes physical damage to the outside of a HDD, imagine that…

He thought that there were replacement circuit boards readily available…

And the data was “priceless” he claimed (Insurance companies use a slightly different term “worthless” )

Why not solder it up to a 4-pin Molex connector and see if I can salvage anything? I thought.

After consulting Greebe (our resident soldering expert at the forums), I soldered it up and was surprised when the hdd started up!

I combined two 4-->3 pin connectors to get thinner wires.

I wasn’t surprised when DFT (Drive Fitnes Test, works on most modern IBM drives both IDE & SCSI) reported this:

Guess I don’t have to guess how it was damaged….

The customer all teary eyes couldn’t take reality and still thinks that I forgot a jumper and if he just connected it then he would be able to transfer his data!

Unfortunately this customer has a history of violence against equipment!
    Last edited by Technoid; 28 October 2002, 12:55.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Excessive shock is a "catch-all" error DFT seems to report - when my 75GXP died for no reason it told me the same error....

But still

Comment

In thise case its definitly right about excessive shock!

Ripping the conecctor togheter with the powercord is at least excessive shock
      Last edited by Technoid; 24 May 2002, 01:08.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What is DFT and does it know that particular HDD model ?

(I only know powermax from Maxtor ....)
        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Drive Fitness Test - somewhere on storage.ibm.com
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

If that guy was silly enough to break a CD into 2 peices, I say let him suffer the cost of hard drive replacement

From experience, breaking a CD into 2 is a messy and rather dangerous exercise.
            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

What a plonker. Get a mate to dress up as a police officer and when he comes in say you recovered his data and this gentleman wants to talk to him.
              Where I work I say "have you got a backup" they always say "no" and then I say we can send it off for data recovery but it's very expensive. The price normally puts them off.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My hdd catastrofe reminded me of this idiot, he still comes around to whine and tell me that he's going to send it of fore datarecovery.....

I have verry important data on the drive he always repeats endlesly

BTW: I'm going to fix the links to the pics when I get my main rig upp again
                Last edited by Technoid; 24 October 2002, 15:03.

Comment

What is DFT and does it know that particular HDD model ?
                  this is a HDD analysis and problem reporting tool for IBM HDs.
                  You can download it from here :

I used it about a year ago when one of my IBM drives showed some strange behaviour.
                  Hati

Comment

Well,
                    I tried to find the pics on my server space....

They seem to have been deleted

So i made new ones from the original photos

Comment

I think this might be the same customer.

"Excuse me, I bought this Quantum drive here two years ago and its stopped working....."
                      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

...should post that guy's phone number. Was it Zokes who wanted to kill a PSU? Technoid will be ready to call him soon for his watercooler. Who else has some drive-you-nuts parts to mangle?
                        How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                        Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
                          I think this might be the same customer.

"Excuse me, I bought this Quantum drive here two years ago and its stopped working....."
                          The Terminator meets Mr.Hard Drive, hilarity ensues!

Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

LOL!
                            Problems with IBM disks????
                            Been there, dont that, got the t-shirt!

Comment

Update:

The idiot without a clue was in again and wanted me to solder a powerconector to the drive again as in my second pic

He has ripped it of and this time the PCB don't have any metal left to solder it to

He said that he talked to IBAS and they said that they would take 2000 to 6000 to recover data from it....

And I think they gave him a good price

There is probably nothing readable on that drive

My soldered HDD, also IBM is working perfectly
                              On the other hand I dident bang it into something really hard....

Hm...
                              Shooting holes through the HDD is something that many of our customers in green (Military) do ...

They stick to the innane idea that data is recoverable even after writing zeroes to the sectors 7 times

So they shoot holes or use a sand blaster to physically erase the surface of the discs....

IBAS says that it only requires one pass of zero writing to effectly thwart any attempts to recovery…

Many of the guys in green says that IBAS lies to the public and that they can recover 6-7 layers of data…..

I say:
                              If it were true, why do he tell me???

Comment

Working...
                              X