Netscape 7 PR 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape 7 PR 1

In an interesting little twist, Netscape just released Netscape 7 PR1. But I'm sure that was rather obvious from the topic subject

You can get the Engrish speakers version here:

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape7...ows/win32/sea/

Haven't installed it on my computer yet, so no clue if it's any good.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I thought they were leaving the browser market?

Jeff
    -We stop learning when We die, and some
    people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
    Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
    - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
    - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Not a chance. Netscape is one of AOL's most important assets now. Its either an alternative or bargaining chip when MS pushes IE on them.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I thought AOL was dropping IE as the integrated web browser once their contract was up with M$?

Comment

Yup.

Anyone use NS7 Alpha then?

Same as NS6?

P.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Nope. Worse than NS6.

NS6, unlike Mozilla, actually WORKS most of the time.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Hehe, surprising
              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Netscape 6.2.3 isn't too bad it seems to be what the first Netscape 6 should have been.
                Perhaps netscape ought to start from scratch and try the non bloated approach.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Or why not put all their coders onto the Mozilla project? Are they still working independently? Or should AOL buy Opera too?

Just a curio, Microsoft probably have 99% of novice users, so there isn't much point in improving this area. However, with geeks it's considerably less. "We" often use Mozilla/Opera, or even Lynx. I like Mozilla/Opera as IE alternatives, but why don't Microsoft add what M/O offer? It's not that hard, surely?

Incidentally, the Dist@Murc website stats show IE6 is now the favoured browser. It was behind 5.0 and 5.5 in March, 2nd in April and has the lead in May (so far). I still use 5.0, but I'd kinda like the Print Preview feature once in a while.

I'm not a Microsoft basher, but when will companies start realising that the bloat war must die? I don't want another 50MB of extras in IE7, or a 75MB interface. I want the core stuff recoded and compiled more optimally. I want IE more customisable (not skins Bill, but options to switch off your crap).

Bah, P.
                  Meet Jasmine.

Comment

I have used Mozilla since M.18 and it has worked great!
                    And I'l continue to use it!
                    Whatever Gurm insinuates

And theis NS 7 PR1 is probably Mozilla RC 1 compiled by the NS tech's!
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Agree with Technoid, I've been using Mozilla happily since around m14. Sure it had some funky problems back then, but now it has become hard to use any other browser due to no tabs and annoying pop-ups. I didn't realize how bad pop-ups had gotten because I've been using Mozilla with onload pop-ups disabled for quite some time now.

I believe that AOL plans on using Gecko to due the layout and stuff for their next version of their software. So not only is Netscape now important for AOL's browser battle, but also their take over your desktop battle.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
                        I'm not a Microsoft basher, but when will companies start realising that the bloat war must die? I don't want another 50MB of extras in IE7, or a 75MB interface. I want the core stuff recoded and compiled more optimally. I want IE more customisable (not skins Bill, but options to switch off your crap).
                        Couldn't have put it better myself , it just seems to be a trend with software companies that each subsequent release must be more bloated then the last, with extra features that no one is every going to use and of course hiding the ones that they do
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I've been testing Netscape 7 PR1 at work today. It runs very smoothly Noticibly better than Netscape 6.2.x. I can't test out all the functionality as I am locked down behind a firewall, but I'll do more testing at home. So far I have had zero issues with N7 PR1.

At home I use Opera almost exclusively. The only times I don't is when I want to watch Quicktime and some Flash stuff. Then I break out IE. At work I use Netscape for Internet stuff and IE for intranet stuff. I just feel that certain browsers work better under certain circumstances.

Jammrock

Comment

I'll try it at work tomorrow. I agree with pace it's time the bloat stopped. Companies may realise thats easier to debug when theres a lot less code lying around.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ah downloaded it and I've come across only one problem. When replying to this forum you get a much smaller box than you would do in IE6.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X