X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox confirms Parhelia is AGP 4X

Read this article

Angry mode on:

No. I won't read it. Stop talking crap, and posting crap. Feck. I read it.
    Because 3D companies insist that AGP 8X and DirectX 9 are crucial for future generation 3D hardware
    AGP8x is irrelevant, I don't care if it is. I don't care my MAX is 2x. Can anyone post benchmarks comparing MAX 2x vs MAX 4x. I bet no difference. (or 1%). Crap.

Angry mode off

Sorry, bm1, but stop reading that site. And what Matrox employee confirmed it? Where's the quote? Like many tabloid press, this is made up crap.

Everyone thinks the first card will be 4x, but the card hasn't been announced yet - the chip will always support 8x.

Bah.

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

From the Matrox Tech Support Forums:

chr79: Is the Matrox Parhelia AGP 4X or 8X?

Haig: It's a 4x part that will work in an 8x motherboard provided the motherboard uses a universal connector. I've allready asked to clear this up in our specs. If motherboard manufacturers start bringing out 8x only motherboards, then no 4x card will work.

Comment

Well do we need the agp bus as memory getting cheaper you may end up having all the memory you need on board and no need to swap it over the agp bus?
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

IMHO if some board maker wants to save $.50/unit by not using AGP Universal slots then they don't need my business.

For the record: Gigabyte and ECS have been using AGP Universal in many of their new boards.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

We're still addressing this issue so please standby

(the fat lady hasn't sang yet)
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

ralf,... virtually no game currently out pushes AGP2x let alone anything higher.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                ralf,... virtually no game currently out pushes AGP2x let alone anything higher.
                I have to agree here,

AGP 8x and Directx 9 are both irrelivent at the current time.

Even DirectX 8.X is only just being used now, and directx 9 is still only a glimmer in microsofts eye. I can't see why some people are SO obsessed over it.

Talk to me in 2-3 years and I may think differently about directx 9. As for AGP, there were no improvements from x2 to x4, what makes you think going from x4 to x8 is going to do anything?
                80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Please don't believe everything you read... especially The Inquirer!

Comment

ahhh *sigh* however ralf I do have a nice bridge to sell you in San Francisco, small bills untraceable please

Dan
                    Last edited by Sasq; 23 May 2002, 08:06.
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by ralf
                      <a href="http://www.theinquirer.net/23050205.htm" target="_blank">Really?</a>
                      If what the inquirer is saying is true,

Then why haven't we seen improvements in the real world. Could it be that no card we have at the moment is able to routinely render 1million triangles per frame.

Could it also be that current CPU's cannot generate 60 million triangles per second for a video card to render in a real application. You could generate them in a demo, but how much time do you spend playing demos. Real games are still only using about 1-2 million trangles per second, and it looks like that massive increases in triangle count arn't the way 3d graphics is moving. (look at how doom III will work)

It is easy to put contrived examples together to show that a particular technology is useful, like that inquirer article shows, but its another to prove a technology's usefulness in the real world.
                      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Originally posted by ralf
                        <a href="http://www.theinquirer.net/23050205.htm" target="_blank">Really?</a>

In real benchmarks it didn't improve sh@t.
                        Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Run bunny run ..... ruuuuunnnnn !
                          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

ralf, the speed difference we got from AGP2X to AGP4X was only a few percent maybe 2 a 3% the only advantage that AGP8X will have is the ability to support Multiple AGP ports and some other minor improvements, don't expect a significant speed increase.
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Ugh. I love it when people don't back up their statements with numbers.

Repeaded anecdotal evidence points to 4x not making a big difference over 2x on consumer cards, and my own limited tests say the same thing. Why would professional cards be any different? And if they are... what are they doing different from their mainstream counterparts?

I'm very curious about learning more on this issue. Anyone care to see some "investigative" journalism about AGP: theory vs. reality?

Comment

Working...
                              X