Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning out a Duron

Chaps
    How long will it take to burn out a 1 ghz Duron that is being run without using a fan? 1 sec,5 secs, 10 mins, 1 hour?
    The reason I ask is that I bought one 2 weeks ago along with another Ks75a and I had it running in the bios for less than 10 secs before I powered it down. Now it refuses to even allow the powersupply to work. I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they tested it and both motherboard and processor are f**ked. Can this happen so quickly?

Regards Michael
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

That all depends on the ambient room temp, case cooling and HS used. But it most certainly doesn't take long.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Without a fan, or without even a heatsink?
      Without a heatsink, you'll toast the processor fairly quickly (10 seconds is possible), but if you had a heatsink and no fan it shouldn't suicide that easily.

Even then, I can't say that I really think it would take out the rest of the system. Get a magnifying glass, and inspect the CPU socket for damage, even going so far as to check the continuity and voltage on the VDD & ground pins (there's probably a lot of those though).
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Without a heatsink or fan, an althon 1gig burns up after 3 seconds. I know. I've watched it happen.

Comment

Tomshardware did this months ago. Yes they go very quickly.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah, but that was THG. They make whatever their sponsors want to happen.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Okay then what about stevec comment then.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've had an original Athlon running for 5-6 seconds at 2.05Vcccore without a HS before by mistake (knee bumped power switch) and it caused no damage... tho it did seriously freak me out!
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

TP, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. It's just that the opinions (read: shitty writing and research) of THG have almost no influence on me, nor do they necessarily have any relation to reality. THG might as well not exist, for all I care.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    TP, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. It's just that the opinions (read: shitty writing and research) of THG have almost no influence on me, nor do they necessarily have any relation to reality. THG might as well not exist, for all I care.
                    THG is sponsored by Intel, and one of the writers is editor in chief of a nVidia fan page...

I have seen an AthlonXP 2000+ in a system with ASUS COP (CPU Overheat Protection), first without fan, then without heatsink, the system just stalled, no damage to the processor!

AMD AthlonXP 2000+
                    ASUS A7V333 Motherboard

Comment

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor

THG is sponsored by Intel, and one of the writers is editor in chief of a nVidia fan page...

I have seen an AthlonXP 2000+ in a system with ASUS COP (CPU Overheat Protection), first without fan, then without heatsink, the system just stalled, no damage to the processor!

AMD AthlonXP 2000+
                      ASUS A7V333 Motherboard
                      Don't get me started on this issue again .... !

Of course it doesn't burn with COP on the MB !!!

BUT what about all the MB's out there with no COP on them, will they burn ... oh yes they will and the video put out by van's (amd's) *cough* hardware didn't even mention COP - and it wasn't endorsed by AMD - so every AthlonXP owner was mislead into thinking .. hey my AthlonXP wont fry / burn / explode / combust / whatever.

I know, that I won't remove the heatsink from my AthlonXP while it's running and that's on an Epox 8KHA+.
                      A motherboard which came out after those two videos and it has NO COP protection so the CPU will ...... and it will most likely kill the MB as well.
                      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek

Don't get me started on this issue again .... !

Of course it doesn't burn with COP on the MB !!!

BUT what about all the MB's out there with no COP on them, will they burn ... oh yes they will and the video put out by van's (amd's) *cough* hardware didn't even mention COP - and it wasn't endorsed by AMD - so every AthlonXP owner was mislead into thinking .. hey my AthlonXP wont fry / burn / explode / combust / whatever.

I know, that I won't remove the heatsink from my AthlonXP while it's running and that's on an Epox 8KHA+.
                        A motherboard which came out after those two videos and it has NO COP protection so the CPU will ...... and it will most likely kill the MB as well.
                        Um well if your board doesnt support the termial diaode on the AthlonXP, of course its going to burn the chip up
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've never worried about burning up a cpu. If you use quality parts and install properly it's a non issue. Anyone that thinks it is, is a fool that's been sucked into Intel/Tom(foolery's) marketing psychobabble.

Tho I am sorry to hear yours died Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe

Tho I am sorry to hear yours died Michael
                            Thanks Greebe
                            Looks like I made an expensive mistake.
                            Interests include:
                            Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

And "King" Jerry Sanders thanks you too.

Do you think that Sorry Dirtbag gives a Rats Ass if you burn up your processors...

Hell No!!!!!

You just have to go buy another one to help him pay for his latest Marble Bust or Wall Mural of "King Jerry" for the Lobby of AMD headquaters in Sunnyvale. ....ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Another "AMD Toaster"<SUP>tm</SUP>!!!! ...

Paul
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X