Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must read/do!!!

http://****microsoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

I purge this stuff all the time ... in fact, I just did this a couple hours ago. Never seen a writeup on it though.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

hehe
      content.IE5 will display in Windows but you have to type it in. I always have windows display the full path on the title bar as well as in the address bar, because I always like to know exactly where on the drive I am.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I wrote about it in this forum a couple of years ago.
        It has taken it´s time so sink in

Best way to check out and clear these folders is by means of the old DOSSHELL in DOS 5.

rubank
        Last edited by rubank; 21 May 2002, 02:16.

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker
          content.IE5 will display in Windows but you have to type it in. I always have windows display the full path on the title bar as well as in the address bar, because I always like to know exactly where on the drive I am.
          I don't recall doing anything special to see these files in Explorer though I do enable "Show hidden files and folders". I don't enable the full path display. I'm running W2K-AS.

BTW, I think there's a lot of paranoia about big brother conspiracies versus M$FT trying to save the novice computer user from themselves.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam,

you must realize that there are files that you are NOT able to see within Windows (short of using special third party s/w), and they cannot be deleted while running windows.

Paranoic or not, finding personal nonencrypted accountnumbers in these hidden files- which I did - does not bring a very comforting feeling.

You may find the files in DOS, not easily though, but you can´t check their content without s/w like DOSSHELL.

rubank

Comment

I realize that there are additional "really hidden" files. I was just clearing out huge disk clutter rather then wiping out confidential data. Windows has never been thought of as being even somewhat secure. Their Active Directory also has many security flaws.

Comment

These "really hidden" files are apparently only "really hidden" under Win9x. I have been able to see them for years.

- Gurm

P.S. You can purge 'em pretty easily with half a dozen very good 3rd party utilities, many of which are free.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

I use Norton CleanSweap to remove tose files for me!

Comment

And what free utility is there for this? any links?

And please no Norton "I'll crash your system" software...
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

I use "surf pal" by panicware, which does cost. There are dozens of alternatives.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Gurm,

I haven´t used that app, but I somehow doubt that it clears the very hidden "index.dat" files that keep a record of your surfing.
                        These files live at various locations, some visible some not, and as I already said - they can´t be deleted while windows is running.

The most interesting question though, is why have MS gone to these lengths to keep a hidden record of your actions, what is the purpose and why the hardship to get rid of it.

Yes, it´s a win9x thing, but there are other peculiarities in XP.
                        I booted into 98SE and deleted the temporary Internet files on my XP drive. After booting into XP, i noticed the files were still there. Go figure.

rubank

Comment

The most interesting question though, is why have MS gone to these lengths to keep a hidden record of your actions, what is the purpose and why the hardship to get rid of it.
                          Why indeed?

I have a feeling Bill Gates wants to somehow get dirt on everyone in the world so he can blackmail or threaten you if he needs to.

So What IS the deal with that "Windows Update" crap, and why does it pop up with the start menu? Just something to make the idiots of the world trust MS to take over their computers for a while as it downloads the key "really hidden" files to its database,

Comment

Rubank,

No, I can see those files. I don't know why you and others persist in the idea that they are "really hidden", but many of us can see them just fine.

- Gurm

Comment

Well I guess you´re just a lucky guy, Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X