Problems with loading Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with loading Windows XP

I'm trying to help a friend with a Dell laptop and windows XP.

Upon startup it runs scandisk which takes an excruciatingly long amount of time. It finds a couple bad clusters that it says it repairs and like 600 kb in lost clusters that will be saved as files. When it finishes it reports ~300kb in bad sectors. Then it flashes some screen and the only thing I can catch is RAM dump... (not to familiar with XP, so don't know if this is normal or a screen I need to see).

After scandisk it goes to the load options screen. Choosing either Last Known Good Config or Windows Normally will cause it to load briefly and then go back to scandisk. Choosing Safe Mode shows the blue driver loading screen and then it takes another crap load of time, but then it goes directly into that option screen again. Safe Mode with Command Prompt took so long that I gave up and turned off the computer.

My guess is that those bad sectors have some necessary files, but as I'm not to familiar with XP I don't know if there is another way around the problem. She doesn't have the XP CD, so I couldn't try booting with that. I told her to give Dell a call, or hopefully I can find an answer.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Err... you're pretty much screwed. If it repeatedly finds the bad sectors, that's no good. You could TRY running one of the popular disk repair tools manually.

I'd get dell to fix the drive, if possible.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

ditto
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
      X