Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice/feedback needed on S-VHS VCR Purchase

Hi all,

Well, my five year old VCR (JVC HR-VP680U) decided it was time to quit. But I had a very good experience with it, while it lasted.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with the electrical part, a piece of plastic (which, as per Murphy's laws plays a decisive role in the tape transport mechanism) broke, rendering the whole mechanism unusable. All my attempts at repairing it (using various glues, epoxy, etc...) have failed. The damn thing holds a spring inside and as soon as I try to reinstall the spring it breaks again.

Anyway, after some research on the web (price versus functionality) and knowing for a fact that I want an S-VHS machine I came to the following conclusion:

JVC HR-S7800U

Any feedback on this machine is needed and greatly appreciated. Please also post your experience with other machines, if you think it would be a better buy.

Or just simply post condoleances for the old one

Thank you for your time.

Definitely go with another JVC SVHS....I have three now and love 'em. Just make sure you get a model that has a TBC (time base corrector) and a decent sized frame buffer.

The S7800U does have a TBC and it also has a 2 meg frame buffer so it certainly meets those criteria. That said I'd probably still look for a 9800U or 9900U on discount somewhere before biting. Besides having higher end features they also have a 4 meg frame buffer.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thank you Doc,

I was also very happy with the JVC brand. The old one (though only VHS) had manual Audio Rec Level adjustment. Very handy sometimes.

I found the HR-S7800U for US $199.99 at Crutchfield.com + $11.00 shipping.

The upscale HR-S 9800 or 9900 is about US $400.

Is the extra 2MB frame buffer memory worth double the price ?

Comment

HR-S9800 vs. HR-S9900?

Hey Doc M....

What is the real difference between the two? I know that the 9900 is the newer version, but I am not seeing alot to justify the cost difference between the two. Since my HR-S4800 bought the farm I am in the market for a replacement.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X