X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony's CD protection cracked with magic markers

"Copy-proof" CDs cracked with 99-cent marker pen
    LONDON (Reuters)

"Technology buffs have cracked music publishing giant Sony Music's elaborate disc copy-protection technology with a decidedly low-tech method: scribbling around the rim of a disk with a felt-tip marker.

Internet newsgroups have been circulating news of the discovery for the past week, and in typical newsgroup style, users have pilloried Sony for deploying "hi-tech" copy protection that can be defeated by paying a visit to a stationery store.

"I wonder what type of copy protection will come next?" one posting on alt.music.prince read. "Maybe they'll ban markers."

Sony did not immediately return calls seeking comment."

Gotta love it

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

hahaha. thats great
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

LOL
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

that is too funny!!!!!

cc

Comment

well ... it's not an 100% working solution .. sorry !!
          (But it's better than having to return your i-mac for repairs when it won't eject the copy protected CD)

In some cases it doesn't work ......

check out http://www.cdfreaks.com for in depth info on the various AUDIO protections and other usefull info.
          Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 20 May 2002, 15:38.
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

You don't have to return your iMac. That's FUD. You can go to Apple's website and they have <B>3</B> ways for you to eject the disc. Hold down the mouse button when you boot a Mac, and it ejects all removable media and boots the hard drive.

I hate the RIAA, but you weaken the case against them everytime false claims are made.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              You don't have to return your iMac. That's FUD. You can go to Apple's website and they have <B>3</B> ways for you to eject the disc. Hold down the mouse button when you boot a Mac, and it ejects all removable media and boots the hard drive.

I hate the RIAA, but you weaken the case against them everytime false claims are made.
              I hate pre-OSX MACs and even I knew that could be done.

Comment

But didn't that copy protection fsck up the iMac's firmware (BIOS equivalent), causing it to not boot anymore?

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat

What don't the macs have an eject hole for one cd's get stuck ??
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The article specifically says it cracks Sony's protected CD's, which are notorious for causing serious computer crashes. Other companies use other schemes which this does not work with.

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Cracks and eject holes, you say?

OMFG! This thread is just too g*y.
                      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                      ----------------------
                      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Comment

Why destroy your special limitid edition cd with a text marker whne you can use IsoBuster?
                          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                          X