evaluate 2D quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evaluate 2D quality?

Sifting the reviews of videocards over the Net I have notice a lack of 2D quality coverage. Is it possible to determine a king of the hill or it's just impossible?

Yes, I know how to choose a good monitor using standard Windows programs like Paint (a bit of wizardry but you know...) But how to find out that videocard is good at 2D and this videocard is bad? Even more - how you determine that old trusty Mill II sometime is better than G450 in 2D field?

Links to 2D reviews of different videocards are welcome!

Re: evaluate 2D quality?

Originally posted by fav
    Sifting the reviews of videocards over the Net I have notice a lack of 2D quality coverage. Is it possible to determine a king of the hill or it's just impossible?

Yes, I know how to choose a good monitor using standard Windows programs like Paint (a bit of wizardry but you know...) But how to find out that videocard is good at 2D and this videocard is bad? Even more - how you determine that old trusty Mill II sometime is better than G450 in 2D field?

Links to 2D reviews of different videocards are welcome!
    Anand has said that he will be focusing more on IQ in the future. Its nice to know that this will be happening after nVidia has said that they will also be focussing more on IQ (anyone see a link).
    Its a shame that wasnt done several years ago when the GF and GF2 had real piss poor visual quality.

Regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Yeah no sheit... more proof that Anand is bought, sold and traded to the highest bidder.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

mdhome, please quote me the part in which nVidia representatives claim to improve the IQ of their future cards. I can't recall reading anything else other than their claim that they 'solved' the IQ problem in the GF3, in that particular interview (which I guess is the one you're referring to).

Comment

GAWD I wish the search feature was turned on... 99% of this stuff has been posted before
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

What about looking at this recent thread.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Heh. All this uproar. This is now relatively old news. nVidia hadn't implemented the new certifications as of GF4, but the statement from the interview is newer than GF4. If they follow through, and assuming manufacturers care whether they have that certification, nVidia-based hardware should finally take a step toward providing uniform output quality between vendors.

Having said that, it'll be interesting to see how nVidia's future hardware stacks up quality-wise compared to Matrox's hardware (since Matrox now uses 5th order filters, which isn't cheap, but is very good.)
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

"Uniform Image Quality" is not the same as "Excellent Image Quality".

As for who is king of the hill - right now it's probably a G550, although I'm sure people will endlessly niggle over whether the G550 is REALLY better than the G400Max.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Nope... just whackin a condensending mini

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    Nope... just whackin a condensending mini
                    condensending ... is that what you get when you stomp on them too hard?
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I think it's when you catch them in the morning, and they still have that dew on them
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah they squishee much better that way

Comment

ROTFLMAO
                          System 1:
                          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                          Epox 8K7A
                          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                          SBLIVE 5.1
                          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                          3Com Hardware Modem
                          Teac 20/10/40 burner
                          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Excuse me but I am the Moderator of this forum... keep it up and you will be banned.

In the mean time please read the Forum Survival Guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              "Uniform Image Quality" is not the same as "Excellent Image Quality".

As for who is king of the hill - right now it's probably a G550, although I'm sure people will endlessly niggle over whether the G550 is REALLY better than the G400Max.

- Gurm
                              True Gurm, but I also meant improved (still not necessarily excellent, but this Gainward is pretty d**ed good).

And I'd niggle with you if I'd ever seen a G550 in action, but until then, I've only had (and have) a G400Max to look at.
                              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                              Gainward Ti4600
                              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                              X