Cooling the Parhelia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling the Parhelia

I hate noise. I go out of my way to make my PC silent.
    I have succeded in prying og the heatsink of both a geforce2mx400 and an ATI8500 and replacing it with this: http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnpsvga2.htm

It worked flawlessly. In both cases, there where lots of room and adequete airsupply.

Any hope I can do this to the parhelia, without frying it?
    As I said, I really dont like my computer to be audible at all.

~~DukeP~~

Waiting for the sun

I can't make a guess at a card that isn't out yet, but you'll have to wait and see if the RAM needs the heatsink airflow to cool itself off. It may not be the core you need to worry about.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, that was one of the things I was concerned about. Hopefully, the RAM is equipped with its own passive heatsink. The above mentioned cooler does not cool anything besides the core.
      Oh. And it is attached using a special two-component thermal glue. It DOES NOT come off again - if it doesnt do the job, one has to use a pci-slotfan.
      So it really does need to work.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

The alpha boards had no ram sinks at all, so I don't think that will be a problem. The core might be..... But let's wait and see, shall we?
        -Slougi

Comment

I don't remember ever hearing the fan of my G400max. The fan of the power unit and that of the CPU have always been louder.

Anyone ever heard it ?

Comment

Yeah sure I can hear it... have mine sitting here on the desk, when powered I can hear it... blasted thing gets alot louder when I put it to my ear too! Guess I'll have to RMA it now
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The fan on my old G400MAX wasnt the worst. Just wasnt the best either. I have yet to see a grafix card witch as standard is equipped with a decent fan - guess they cost too much to mount as standard?

Oh and Greebe?
              WHY do you have your G400max on the table? Got another toy?

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I was just teasing... but do have the fan off my Max sitting here
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yeah. Sure U where..

Comment

Ok then I'll state for the record that I most certainly do not have a P card.

Comment

I can do better: Do not have, as in Do not own, or as in: There is not a P card within 200 meters of where I live..

Comment

I really hope it comes with passive cooling, at least the smalles parhelia. However i don't think so. So i'll probably slap a GIGANTIC passive heatsink on it and hope that it works. If not for gaming, then at least for the usual 2D work.

I hate noise like nothing else!
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Can anyone say, w-a-t-e-r-c-o-o-l-i-n-g???

Comment

Take a look at this...

Comment

shame it's not black. It would work better if it was.

I'll stick to watercooling

Comment

Working...
                              X