Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat 7.2 - Minor config problems

Hi everyone
    I recently installed Red Hat 7.2. The installation went fine, and all the hardware is working properly. I’ve also configured the soundcard, video etc. However, there are a few glitches:
    1) The screen is shifted to the right, which I can correct through xvidtune. But, when I reboot, the settings are lost and the screen again goes off centre. So how do I make these changes permanent?
    2) When I try to play any mp3 through XMMS in KDE, I get an error saying that the file couldn’t be opened and asks me to check if some other program is using the soundcard. But I can play the same file through XMMS in GNOME!!!! Also, I noticed that I could configure my soundcard through sndconfig in GNOME, but the same could not run properly in KDE – it would stop at the sound playback part! Btw, the sound server is set to start in both KDE and GNOME, and system sounds are also enabled in both.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Ovi

1) isn't there an option to save the settings,.. or at lease display a "modeline" that you can use in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    2) Gnome and KDE use different "sound deamons" iirc, try different output plugins..

sorry i couldn't help more, but i tend to use gnome now,.. and don't personally like KDE
    You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Hi
      Colin: Thanks for your help!!
      1) Yup, xvidtune did display a modeline, but I kept inserting it in the XF86Config file, instead of the XF86Config-4 one. Your suggestion did the trick!!
      2) I'll try different output plugins for XMMS, but the problem of the sound test (in sndconfig) not working in KDE still remains!!
      Thanks
      Cheers
      Ovi

Comment

And this shows why Linux still isn't ready for the general desktop. Still it's getting there slowly.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

when you test kde sound.. make sure that's the first one you boot into,.. (ie don't start up gnome,) you'll prolly find that one of the gnome sound deamons is still hanging around.
          You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Colin: Hmmmmmmmm...........Now I remember that I never have directly started KDE, I'll try your suggestion!
            Thanks!
            Ovi

Comment

Working...
            X