Is AMD K6 400 enough for MSP 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is AMD K6 400 enough for MSP 6

I have an AMD K6 400 and have just bought a Pyro card with MSP 6. I read somewhere that my cpu may not be enough to playback from the timeline. If this is the case why then can I get timeline playback with my MSP 5.2 (Full) and RRS.

Martin

Hi Martin,

With RRS you are using a hardware codec on board the capture card that takes the load of the processor. The ADS is basically a firewire interface tailored for DV, but doesn't have any hardware compression.

Chris

Comment

Hi anybody,
      I think it is the place to ask about MPEG 1 2 hardware accelerators.
      My computer is also an AMD K6-2/400 64 Mb SDRAM PC100, Marvel G400 TV and a 3,5 Gb systemdrive and a ridiculous small 6,4 Gb designated HD for video.
      All files HW-compressed with Matrox-MJPEG plays fine in highest resolution, 704x576 PAL.
      MPEG 2 files created in 704x576 PAL (but even 356x288 PAL) plays with the software mpeg 2 codec but the CPU is so overloaded that the video is unusable jerky.
      Someone told me, who has an Asus V3800 card in combination with a Hollywood PCI card for MPEG 2, DVD etc. that he has no problems showing highres MPEG 2. His computer is a Celleron 450, 64 Mb and something about 5 Gb HD.
      So, to the question: are Marvel G400 and a Hollywood-like card compatible with each other ?
      Does it help to HardWare-decompress MPEG2 created with MSP6 and the Marvel G400 AND a Hollywood-like card?
      Apologize for my english & if my questions are dummish or naive

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 29 May 2000).]
      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Fred: I'm pretty sure the Hollywood card and the Marvel will work OK together. And video rendered to MPEG-2 will make use of the hardware codec on the Hollywood during playback, so a lower speed CPU can play back DVDs and MPEG-2 files. I'm not sure if it will accelerate MPEG-1 files, although most standard video cards (including the Marvel) have some MPEG-1 acceleration, and these files should playback fine without the Hollywood.

Of course, the Hollywood is a hardware accelerator for MPEG-2 ONLY. That means it will NOT accelerate videos captured in DV from the Pyro. If the video is later rendered (transcoded) to MPEG-2 via an encoder like Ligos LSX or Xing, then that final video can be played back smoothly with the Hollywood. Of course, MPEG-2 will not stream out the DV-out port on the Pyro, since is no longer in DV format.

Comment

Thanks, JTurner,
          So, it's open for me to try. Unfortunatelly I have no DV camcorder, not even a Hi8 just only a Sony TRV10E Video8. The reason why I'm looking to MPEG 2 is more a question of compression, higher video quality, archive the clips and playback later at highest resolution. In the present I do archive my videos in MPEG4 v2, 352x288 PAL, which plays fine from CD to TV. An alternating solution could be to make archives in MPEG2 and upgrade the computer to more powerfull CPU.
          I haven't any DVD player, yet, but I'm sure in the future I will.
          The MPEG2 aren't DV, but if I understand the MPEG2 are hardware decoded by Hollywood, but I am uncertain if a DVD player could show them? I mean a computer based DVD, not a stand alone player.
          I'am using MSP6 to edit my videos and VirtualDub to make MPEG4 1/2 resolution. I tried the Ligos MPEG2 built in in the MSP6, but I found the bbMPEG much better.

Thanks again
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X