Question on OS booting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on OS booting.

Howdy all. I have Win2k installed on my secondary drive, G. I did this because my C drive is on it's last leg. If I disconnect the C drive though, the Win2k install on G won't boot. I tried copying over the system files and the boot.ini file, but it still won't boot. Is there any good way to make G pull it's head out of it's butt and become C happily, or am I going to need to reinstall?

Have you used the sys-command to transfer systemfiles ?
    Perhaps the rescue-disks might be of help ?

Also, you could try to replace the C-drive with a new drive, and make this the bootdrive by using the command "sys c:" (I'm not sure if it will work though)

I remember my NT4 on installed on E: in my previous system (3 harddisks : C D E). When removing the D-drive, NT booted happily from its disk (which now was called D), but most applications didn't adapt to this change very well. So bear in mind that - although W2K might be able to deal with it - installed applications might not...

Personally, I'd think reinstalling W2K is the best way to go (if you intend to have drive-letters shifted around).

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

you have to add a boot record to the G drive.
      ..so it can start the boot process.

in win 98 etc, you coulkd do it with

fdisk /mbr

I don't now how its done with win2k, may be possible using the repair console from the win2k cdrom, or rescue disk.

Comment

See I forgot all about the MBR. I'll give that a go this afternoon, if that doesn't work the Win2k repair is the next step I think.

Comment

Yes, the master boot record is the key here.

But remeber if you have your G: as NTFS you have trouble, because windows wants a fat partition for the mbr.

Heh, I remember one of my friends once installed w2k to e: or whatever it was, he absoulutely wanted the w2k to be c:, he tried a lot of different things with ending up with an re-install of the whole sytem...

Just a thought.
          My system:
          | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
          homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Not entirely true...

Windows 2000 is perfectly capable of running/booting on an all NTFS system. Windows NT was even capable of running/booting on such a system.

The problem occurs when installing NT on a system that has not FAT-partitions : it needs FAT for its temporary files. I'm not sure about W2K however, but booting from an NTFS is no problem (see screenshot, the unknown partitions are a linux partition and a linux swap partition).

Jörg
            Attached Files
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You can also use Partiton Magic to change drive letters without problems.

But as stated fdisk /mbr will do the trick.

Or if you can get a hold of a Win XP CD-ROM you can boot from that and then start the recovery console where there are two commands called FIXBOOT and FIXMBR ( or something like that)

(I don't know if WIN XP can mount W2K .....)
              Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
              incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Working...
              X