X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions of DI-701 gateway/firwall

I can buy a d-link DI-701 gateway/firewall quite cheaply
    ($75 US->$150 Oz dollars)

and I will use it to replace my linux box gatway/firewall for my ADSL modem.

Any opinions on it reliability and functionality.?

If you plan on accessing the internet at any point in time, the DI-701 is not for you. No fooling, 100% honest, it is hte worst piece of junk I have ever had to deal with. I picked it up when I first got dsl a couple years back, cause it was cheap and looked pretty good. I regretted buying it for damn near a year untill I could afford to pick up a Linksys router/switch combo. I upgraded firmware patch after firmware patch and with every problem that was fixed two more replaced it.

You play any games online? I ask because if you refresh the server list, it disconects you, and everyone on the LAN side.

You browse the web? I ask because it disconnects you randomly for no reason.

You download stuff? I hope not, because that's a sure fire way to make it disconnect you.

Mine is sitting in it's box in a drawer. I dunno what it costs to ship to your area, but this POS is yours real cheap if you want it.

Comment

Netgear 314 can be had pretty cheaply as well and is far better. Why do you want to rid yourself of the linux firewall though? I have an openbsd firewall running off of a cdrom right now with an underclocked fanless prox and it hardly makes a noise.

Comment

it just sounded convient, one less set of spining fans and hardrives, and less cables. It would also have given me another spare computer to play around with.

a bh6+celeron 300A+128M+g200+ 6G of UW scsi HDD's is abit over kill for a firewall...it also acts as a print server, file server and general computer (dchp and cacheing DNS).

The more I think about this less I like the idea of replacing it, I think the idea of a another set of flashing light on the 701 sucked me in...

Comment

Working...
        X