This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it is ok to spank your kids

This is one of the rare times that I would condone it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pneumatic; 16 May 2002, 16:19.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

It's always ok to spank your kids.

Contrary to what the ****wit psycho-ologists have to say, children under a certain age DO NOT UNDERSTAND your pathetic attempts to explain why what they are doing is bad.

Time outs do not work on an individual whose attention span is 30 seconds or less.

The only things that babies are born instinctively understanding are pain and fear.

I'm not saying BEAT your children, but a sharp rap on the hand will register a lot better than any pathetic bribery or attempts to "reason" with your child.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Besides children do suffer A LOT more from psychological "punishment" than from slight physic ones.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

Had to reply to RichL. I _HATE_ it when people try to attribute that phrase to the Bible. No, nothing personal against you, just one of my pet peeves....

Here's the real quote:

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." Proverbs 13:24

Note, that the word betimes means early.

Where do you think those kids learned to say "big fat ass"? Maybe from mommy, eh? Very likely she got what she deserved.

I'm not saying it's cool that they did it, but "Monkey see, monkey do"....

AlgoRhythm

Edit: BTW, this post should actually be way down below Snake-Eyes chronologically. I think the clock on the server got changed....
        Last edited by AlgoRhythm; 17 May 2002, 10:09.

Comment

Re: Sometimes it is ok to spank your kids

Originally posted by Kindness!
          This is one of the rare times that I would condone it.
          Maybe it's true.

amish
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

"Spare the rod and spoil the child."
            - The Bible, somewhere in the front half.
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Well if spanking causes violence then by now the yobs and yobettes should have disappeared of the streets. But no theres more than even attacking buses smashing windows attacking cars swearing at you.
              Dogooders just like living in another world and enjoy messing up our normal one.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Those are nice and polite kids by many of todays standards.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Amen, hey Gurm is actually still alive
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I'm not sure if I'd be able to administer the necessary treatment in that situation. I doubt I'd be able to stand up long enough because of laughing. (I know, it's a bad thing to laugh in front of your children when you're trying to teach them that something is wrong, but sometimes it's so hard to keep from it).

BTW Kindness, wheredja get to last night? I played, and played, and played some more. No sign of ya in the game. Oh well. I probably won't get to play Saturday (thanks to Armed Forces Day and Military Appreciation events, where I'm being told I need to spend my Saturday in dress uniform holding a flag. That's appreciation for ya'! )
                    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                    Gainward Ti4600
                    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Snake-Eyes,
                      I remember once when my nephew who was about 2 had done something wrong. I knew I had to spank him and he knew I was gonna spank him. As I gave him a small tap on his hands as punishment, he cried and I felt really bad for doing it and spent the rest of the day having a guilt trip. The child wasnt physically hurt but I did what had to be done. And you are right, holding a straight face can be difficult.

Regards MD
                      Interests include:
                      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Gurm:

"It's always ok to spank your kids.

Contrary to what the ****wit psycho-ologists have to say, children under a certain age DO NOT UNDERSTAND your pathetic attempts to explain why what they are doing is bad.
                        "

So Gurm, if you do not understand my pathetic attempt to explain to you about something, it is cool if I give up my attempt and slap you around a little? I hope you remember your brilliant piece of "****wit" of analysis if somebody much bigger than you decides arbritarily they have had enough of your shennanigans and spanks you.

Discipline is indeed absolutely necessary for parenting, and nobody said it is easy. It requires patience, self-control, imagination and empathy. A parent who resorts to spanking is admitting to a deficiency in one or more of these traits. Spanking is, in fact, abuse because it is an assault - an assault on a smaller, vulnerable, dependent and trusting human being.

Spanking can improve behavior, sure; even adults' behavior will improve after an assault, only in order to avoid further personal harm. If you can't see anything wrong with a fully grown adult slapping or spanking a child around, I truly feel sorry for your kids.

ps...what exactly does "****wit" mean? Is that obscene?

Last edited by dancray; 20 May 2002, 06:18.

Comment

While I don't agree with the way the goverments have restricted disicpline these days (the virtual lack there of), I do agree that spankings is the best course of action in many cases if properly administered. As the years pass I notice an ever increasing # of children today who even as adults need to be spanked due to their complete and utter lack of maturity and or respect for others, especially elders.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

dancray, so if your 18 month old child continually reaches for the hotplate, are you going to sit down and talk with this child about the dangers of hot things, or are you going to give it a quick rap across the nuckes?

Dan
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by dancray
                              So Gurm, if you do not understand my pathetic attempt to explain to you about something, it is cool if I give up my attempt and slap you around a little? I hope you remember your brilliant piece of "****wit" of analysis if somebody much bigger than you decides arbritarily they have had enough of your shennanigans and spanks you.
                              No, because I've reached the age where reason works for me. The same psychologists that don't like spanking kids will readily agree that children do not achieve the capability to "reason" until they are 3-ish. A one-year-old does not in ANY WAY understand your reasons for not doing what he/she is doing.

Discipline is indeed absolutely necessary for parenting, and nobody said it is easy.
                              What sort of "discipline" would you recommend for a 1-year-old? The child doesn't understand more than a few words of what you're saying, can't talk, oftentimes can't walk, and has an attention span of roughly 30 seconds. Exactly how would you propose that you keep this child from doing something that would harm him/herself?

It requires patience, self-control, imagination and empathy.
                              Empathy. With a being that has no capability for rational thought (yet)?

A parent who resorts to spanking is admitting to a deficiency in one or more of these traits.
                              You, sir, are an idiot. To imply that I lack one of these traits, because my response to my child trying to put his hand into the blades of a spinning fan is to smack the hand away from the fan, is infantile and insulting.

Spanking is, in fact, abuse because it is an assault - an assault on a smaller, vulnerable, dependent and trusting human being.
                              The lack of education that you received as you grew could ALSO be viewed as a form of assualt.

Spanking can improve behavior, sure; even adults' behavior will improve after an assault, only in order to avoid further personal harm. If you can't see anything wrong with a fully grown adult slapping or spanking a child around, I truly feel sorry for your kids.
                              Which part of "until they are old enough to understand other forms of punishment" did you not understand?

Also, apparently it got munched but you asked what "****wit" meant. Look it up - there's a picture of you right next to it in the dictionary.

Think "halfwit", or "dimwit", only LESS intelligent.

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X