Ultra effecient new cooling device passes Boeing tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra effecient new cooling device passes Boeing tests

A panel of Cool Chips one inch square will provide enough cooling for a refrigerator;...

joelgrimes writes "A company called Cool Chips plc is showing off a cooling device that claims unbelievable efficiencies using what they call 'quantum mechanical electron tunneling'. A choice quote from their press release: "A panel of Cool Chips one inch square will provide enough cooling for a re...
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

I'll take a 1/4" square to go please.

Stick one of those suckers somewhere in my case, and see what kind of overclocking I can do.

Hmmm... Wonder if I could remove all the heatsinks and fans after having one of these installed?
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

We'll see. It's just an idea at this stage. They've never built and tested one. Also, they quote 500W/cm^2. That's insane.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

that could possible be the biggest invention since bananas
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Sounds promising...
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

A solid state vacuum diode?
            I wonder what that looks like!
            Michka
            I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
            If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
              that could possible be the biggest invention since bananas
              It could also be a load of crap. We'll wait and see.

Comment

Straight from the horses mouth...

It always cracks me up when others neglect to go see what is being discussed before commenting
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I don't want to see the exterior of the thing, I am still wondering what a "solid state" "vacuum diode" is?
                  Solid state means made of solid material, doesn't it?
                  And vacuum means made of nothing, doesn't it?
                  So, this is solid vacuum?
                  And I did not mean that it is a fake either, or that it will not work!
                  What I am saying is that the explanations are full of contradictions. Example: you can see a picture of it, but Boeing statement only states that the theory behind it is sound, and that it certainly deserves further development. Now, for me, this means that a prototype still has to be built.
                  Contrary to your comment, I actually went to read the explanations before commenting, you see.
                  Happy, Greebe?
                  Michka
                  Edit: Oh yeah, and when discussing about heat conduction that leads them to use a vacuum gap, they completely forget that heat is also be transmitted by radiation, in addition to conduction. By how much does this affect their calculations?
                  Last edited by Michel Carleer; 16 May 2002, 17:56.

Comment

Yes. They have a prototype, and even an I/V curve. But no thermal data. Something is fishy.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry, Wombat, we posted at exactly the same time so that I don't know who you are responding to?
                      Michka

Comment

I went to their site and even looked at their financials, which seem very vague, and my feeling is just that something isn't right here. The source at Boeing might even have a vested interest in making this little company's OTC stock go bloop! Indeed, that's a very fine picture there, Mikey.. looks a bit like a glob of Silly Putty on a plastic disc, though.. or any of a number of things. They really need to demonstrate the thing, and let others confirm the results. Then I will be convinced.

Comment

Funny coming from somebody who hasn't a clue about quantum physics

Comment

I think it is a very good idea, and sounds to me like they are onto a winner..It does have a vacuum, between the to "plates", this is not really what you normally call solid state, But I think "solid state" part comes from the materials used for the two plates, 1 plates is probably emits electrons readily, and the other has a lot lower emission levels add a small potential(voltage) between the two plates and you have something to prompt the transfer of heated electrons.

very nice, I think it'll work.

In peltiers a similar thing happens, except the gap is actual a "BAND GAP", (the voltage diffence between two sides of a diode), the problem with them is that they are actual the same chunk of material , hence the heat can flow back.

Comment

I think I like your avatar best so far, marshmallowman.

I read the Boeing thing earlier too. It certainly sounds like it's legit, based on that. (Boeing has the resources to research things like this, and unless that particular news item is a hoax, I'd have to believe that they at least have convincing looking documentation on this new device)
                              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                              Gainward Ti4600
                              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                              X