PC Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Steering Wheel

Has anyone got any experience or reccomendations for a PC Steering Wheel?

I've never used them before, but my dad's got a fancy for one with the pedals etc.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

I've got a Microsoft force steering wheel (non usb) but Microshaft have never released software for win2k/xp for it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My dads PC is running Win98SE now. After Win2k and ATI Radeon drivers gave me such gyp I flatined it and installed 98SE, then installed a 2nd hand Voodoo3000.
      I must say, I'm very very impressed with the Voodoo 3000. I ran the 3dMark2001 Demo mode, and while its not quite a stunning and sexy as my G400max, its damn good in its own right and benchmarks at 3370 opposed to 3700 for the Matrox card.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I had one. The pedals broke in the middle of an online firefight and my wonderful car sat there hopeless, bullets and rockets coming from all sides... not pretty.
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Kaboom......
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Impact - Interstate 76?

Comment

Hehe yes it was I'76.

After the breakdown and because I had already replaced the wheel once, I decided to not pursue this route again (getting it repaired or buying another one) and instead got a splendid F-15 like optical joystick. Expensive, but well worth the money.
              Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I have a non-force Microsoft Precision Racing Wheel using USB, it's cheap and has a plastic feel but is still excellent quality for the price IMHO, the precision is good and it is comfortably shaped. Some claim that the shifting buttons are too far away but they probably haven't realized that you can just push them inwards instead of pulling them towards you.
                It's my second one actually, because the brake pedal in my first one broke when I was betatesting Motor City Online... But later I was thinking that it might've been because I used to grab the pedal to move the entire pedal assembly.

I've heard good things about the Act Labs Force RS, Mad Catz Andretti and Logitech Momo steering wheels too.

...or if your budget is limitless, maybe you want one of these:
                http://www.thomas-superwheel.com
                http://www.hyperstim.com/

Comment

Forgot to mention my steering wheel keeps coming loose because the clamps can't tighten it up enougth.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've got an Ultimate Per4ormer force feedback set up that I used to enjoy wrestling with before we moved house, though its now likely to still stay in its box, while I re-convert its destined home from computer room back to nursery/bedroom 3. The worrying thing is that the putative occupant of nursery/bedroom 3 is now 7 months old
                    To be fair to myself, we needed to do some fairly large building works to turn the computer cubbyhole into a real bedroom and to convert our garage into a utility room/study and this has finally been done. Sorry if I slipped off topic a bit there

Dave
                    Don't make me angry...

Comment

Turn the wheel around 180'
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I have the Guillemot FF ferari wheel. It's great! It's a perfect complement to the F1 sims.

If you don't want to use the pedals, then just don't connect them and use the extra levers next to the gear levers. It also has a conventional gear-stick for rallying etc, but unfortunately for me (in the UK) it is on the right of the wheel with no ability to move it.

T.
                        FT.

Comment

I have the Logitech Formula Force GP. It works pretty well and the grip feels good. The main reason I choose it over some of the other models I looked at was that the clamping system was pretty staight-forward and had a low proflie -- my desk has a keyboard drawer that pulls out and the Logitech clamps don't get in the way of it.

Minor annoyances are:
                          After a couple of months it developed a bit of a squeak.
                          The clamps have to be tightend every 30 minutes.
                          The gas/brake pedals tend to migrate forward during extended play.
                          My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I was all hot to get a wheel when I was getting ready to buy my system three years ago. I read a number of articles and was drooling over the idea of an authentic simulated driving experience (tired of getting real world speeding tickets). I tried out a number of the latest wheels at the time and I was totally underwhelmed. The experience didn't even hint at what I was expecting/hoping for. I haven't heard of anything that's come out since that has gotten any closer to the feel of the real thing.
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                            X