If?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If?

the new Matrox "Parhelia" is as fast as a Geforce2 or higher, I'm Getting one and that is for sure!
    Last edited by icemaker; 13 May 2002, 22:03.
    AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 processor 3200+
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition
    MicroStar K8T Neo-FIS2R MS-6702 System Board
    1GB composed of 2- 512MB DDR400 SDRAM 184-pin DIMMs
    3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
    160GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA/100
    16x DVD-ROM Drive
    4x DVD±R/±RW Drive
    e-GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB DDR VIVO Graphics Card
    Integrated 6 Channel AC'97 Audio CODEC
    56K V.92 PCI Internal Modem
    Realtek Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Controller
    IIM IEEE 1394 Host Controller- 2 Ports

It's supposed to be a Geforce4 killer, but of course the standard label for any new graphics card is "It will be a GeforceX" killer. Simply replace X with the current highest Geforce card, and you'll always be up to date.

I'm hoping it will be like the G400Max was when it came out - it'll be the fastest card available (for about 2 weeks until everyone else catches up), but should have a much longer effective life than any of the other cards. I finally gave up waiting and got a Geforce3 once Matrox dropped the G550 on us, but my Geforce3 was out of date within 3 months of buying it. My G400Max remained reasonably current for a couple of years, which is pretty darn good for a 3D gaming card.

As everyone knows, the quality of a new video card, processor, or motherboard, is directly proportional to the frame rate it can get in Quake 3. Any motherboard which can produce an extra 0.03 frames per second is clearly the greatest piece of hardware ever invented. From the leaked specs so far, I suspect that NVidia and others will take some time before they can fully catch up to the gaming quality the Parhelia will be able to produce.

As always - raw horsepower isn't necessarily that important. But in case it is, the Parhelia should have a fair bit of that too. NVidia still has the market share, and I'd doubt that Matrox will be able make much of a dent in that. But I'll welcome the chance to switch back to a Matrox card..........
    Last edited by Cheesekeeper; 13 May 2002, 22:25.

Comment

Working...
    X