Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor purchasing advice - Your Viewsonic experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor purchasing advice - Your Viewsonic experiences?

Hey all,

So my financial situation is finally cleared up, and I've decided the best route to take is to just leave my main toy as a tri boot (98 for games, 2k pro & XP pro for trialware and important stuff), (and try the triple monitor thing just because damnit, I want to )instead of the disorganized clutter of seperate systems for everything. Right now I'm using a Lacie Electron Blue III 19" and a viewsonic gt775 for my main toys, and a dell 19" and lousy OLD proview 17" for my server and test box. Most of my hardware is at least a couple of years old, and since I've always put off upgrading, I'm ready to go all out in a few months. I'm psyched about the tri head output on the Parhelia, and am going to build a custom workstation desk for all of my stuff (I'm thinking like a blonde pine ). I know it sounds petty, but it's important to me that there's an asthetic uniformity to everything (black & silver kbd, silver mouse, black tower, etc..). The hodgepodge of blue, black, and different shades of beige just bugs me, so I was looking at the viewsonic p90f's to get three (pretty nice looking). Anybody have one that can share their opinion? Some people love viewsonics, but a lot of people seem to have nothing good to say (I've come across a lot of horror stories about pincushion, purity, and moire probs with the pf790 and p95f models). I'll probably sell my dell and proview this fall, and maybe my lacie in case anyone is interested Any advice? Know of any black quality apeture grille monitors I should check out? Thanks in advance

PS: LCD's aren't an option to me for photoshop, so it's definitely crt's I'm looking for

If anyone wants to see some pictures of my equipment for a better idea of what to go for let me know.
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

I have an optiquest v95 19", which is a viewsonic sub. It has server me well for about 5 years and still has an excellent picture.

I did have a problem with standby/power which had to be repaired a few years ago (caused by power fluctuations)

Comment

I've had a few friends with Viewsonics and they just didn't last (visual quality went down the tubes)

But...

If I'm not mistaken Cornerstone has a monitor sale going on atm... goto www.monitorsdirect.com (btw they use to be based out of Boulder if I'm not mistaken
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

vwdrivrco, if you ask MURCers what monitors to buy, you'll always here Cornerstone as a reply. Several MURCers, including myself, have them and think they are the best there is.

In my experience Cornerstone is better. If you like the security of a major name, ViewSonics are very good. BTW, the company web site for Cornerstone is:

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hmm...

Cornerstone huh...

I'll start digging into their monitors online then. The reason I mentioned the p90f's in particular was because of their case color scheme, as well as image quality concerns

Jammrock - I'm not too worried about brand recognition; I've heard about cornerstones for awhile, but never had motivation to check them out before now

But hey, he looks of the plastic aren't as important as the image on the tubes, so I don't absolutely need to be a dork and have all of my peripherals match.

I'll probably bring it up again before I commit to any purchases. It's not going to be urgent until I can get order the new vid card anyway, and summer doesn't last forever, so a new mtn bike comes first

Thanks guys for your input

Last two thoughts - - - thought 1} good experiences with cornerstones and high detail photo work?

thought 2} maybe instead of checking out the Parhelia, should just save my money and get sompin' like da bomb geforce mx instead? I heard they're image quality is l33t, stead of some vaporwear parthenalion thing! (jeezIcrackmyselfup)
          Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

Hmmm cornerstone. Just in time to get a thrid display for parhelia.

Comment

Or Iiyama

If you cant get a Cornerstone, I'd plump for an Iiyama as next best thing.
              I've got a 17" 410pro (A702ht) and my G400max will run it at 1600x1024 at 32bit colour at 90mhz.
              The display quality is so sharp you could shave with it

I've got an Eizo 17" as my 'B' monitor, which is several years old and gently failing, but has the very handy feature of a front panel button to switch between BNC and DSUB inputs. (BNC for the Matrox 2nd head and DSub for my spare PC)
              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Yeah, our Viewsonics here at work (we have many) have been a mixed bag. Some still look ok, some look crappy.

2 brands that I recommend and have experience with are KDS and Cornerstone.

amish
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

1} good experiences with cornerstones and high detail photo work?

Worked with my Cornerstone p1460 in high res photoshop on my Kyro II jobbie quit a bit. Looks very nice a detailed. Once I've got 40-bit color running, I'm sure it'll look much nicer though

2} maybe instead of checking out the Parhelia, should just save my money and get sompin' like da bomb geforce mx instead? I heard they're image quality is l33t, stead of some vaporwear parthenalion thing! (jeezIcrackmyselfup)

Them wordz 'r a hang'n offense round these parts j/k Speaking of jokes, comparing Matrox vs nVidia in video quality is like comparing a crystal clear Bahama reef to the Mississippi River.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

To my knowledge Cornerstone is the only manufacture which states the Max convergence error of their monitors. They are crisp to the max res corner to corner.

I've done alot of Photochopping in my time and have used Cornerstone monitors professionally and at home for 10 years now... Best value, excellent imaging and by far the best support you can ask for bar none.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Be careful with Iiyama, and be sure you can turn it back in and get another one!

I have a 17" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17 (9017 T) with an aperture grille tube, which I bought feb '97 and which still has a great picture, apart from having lost a little contrast just the last year. My girlfriend uses it now )oh, sometimes the monitor has what seems to be a bad contact with the cable, but give it a slap - or fiddle with the cable a little and it'll go away. Really no biggie, and occured just after the three-year warranty ran out, and hasn't got worse since). Oh yeah, and I used to put non-shielded loudspeakers next to it, which hasn't affected the picture in the least, so shielding is good

And I have a 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 452 (MA 901 U), which does have "waves" running from the bottom to the top when displaying a white picture, and the image is generally a little bit unsharp, plus slight convergence problems. I also have a pixel error, but that sure must come from the graphics card (a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500) - some of the other problems might be because of the card too, haven't tried another combination yet...
                      I got the monitor for free (they simply forgot to ask for my money when handing it over to me *LOL), so who am I to complain?

What I wanted to say was: Iiyama can make GREAT monitors, but they also seem to produce much crap - so buy one, and if it turns out to be bad, exchange it for another one (same model even)

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Perhaps they should tell there UK dealer/dealers to make sure they put the price up on their website. It would help with sales.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My experience with 17" Viewsonics have been uniformly bad: Second only to the HP OEM 17" monitors. I seem to send requests for replacements on those two monitors DAILY.
                          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Re: Or Iiyama

Originally posted by RichL
                            I've got a 17" 410pro (A702ht) and my G400max will run it at 1600x1024 at 32bit colour at 90mhz.
                            Are you using the zoom function a lot ?
                            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Re: Re: Or Iiyama

Originally posted by thop

Are you using the zoom function a lot ?
                              Dont need it .
                              I bumped up the desktop icon font size from 8pt to 9pt and made the menu's a little bigger, and I can read it fine.

With a Matrox card and a good monitor the display is so sharp and clear I can run high resolutions on 'small' screens and still find them perfectly readable.
                              Of course, when the Parhelia ships will probably be about the time I replace my aging Eizo 17", so a 19" Cornerstone or Iiyama might be on the cards for a replacement.
                              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                              X