No announcement yet.

*sniff* *sniff* I think I smell smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sniff* *sniff* I think I smell smoke!

Don't let Burst.net let the smoke out of the webserver! It's crashing quite regularly now.

Anyone know of any real good hosting deals, let Ant know

But in the meantime, during the reboots, any breaking news could be posted Here while you wait to post it onto the proper MURC forums...

It's all Matrox's fault

for making the Parhelia so "interesting".

Seriously though, I hope you find a server Ant. Good luck. Don't want this site to disappear.

--EecheE
    --EecheE

Comment

Thanks I'm sure we'll find something it's just so damn annoying they pull this just before I go away and can't do anything about it

Comment

As i said in my em@il: There is still somethings that can be done.

What are the prices for hosting in Brittain?
        In Denmark theres places like www.azero.dk where 200MB webspace with free traffic can be had for approx 20£ a month.

I use their smallest websolution, it costs me less than 1£ a month.

Best wishes,
        ~~DukeP~~

Comment

Hmmm free traffic? MURC gets on for ~40GB a month somtimes!

Comment

This month I guess will be a helluva lot higher than that!

Comment

http://www.apollohosting.com/ Good

Comment

Wow I've been swamped with possible offers for the site. Something will happen have no fear. Thanks to everyone that's been contacting me on this

Comment

Peeeewwww..

That was nice to hear.

Happy holiday Ant!

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Hopefully they won't boot us off the server. Didn't take much too swamp them though did it.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Guy's the hosting solution he need should not only include unlimited trafic... thats bullcrap... because they say the majority of times if not all, that they reserve the right to give a limit to members that take to much of the resources... I gess this is what happened to him. The best hosting solution is to have a dedicated server for himself, without the problems of "you're taking to much resources" and I know it cost a lots of $$$ with a site like this with many and many hits, and the comming card, there is no other way Ant's site could survive. I know people do not like the idea of asking Matrox to help, but its the best solution right now, they created this mess with their new card. As for the site objectivity... come on guy's is there really any objectivity, by taking in consideration that the new card will the the fastest etc... ? And I'm sure that Ant could sign a kind of contract to leave the site independent with Matrox.

I can give a lots of histing solutions, I myself have chosen, and have done an extensive search on it, but Ant site is very particular, and the "unlimited" trafic thing is only publicity for the very large majority of the hosters that offer such service. They will all find a reason to shut the site when the site trafic takes to much resources. And all the goodies that this site should support php and stuff, the size it'll need, the trafic control etc... dedicated server is the best if not the only solution.

Of course I'm just a poor student But maybe some could help ant, of course if 400 or 500 persons could sent him 20 $ each... then he may find a good hosting solution.
                      Last edited by Space777; 14 May 2002, 06:44.

Comment

Well it has peaked so it should not be to bad for while....well until the actual card release.

Still waiting for a Parheilian Murcer Cup to appear in the MURC shop
                        (A displacement Mapped one)

Comment

i don't think Ant wants sponsorship from matrox. but then i may be all wrong.
                          i propose ads. with the posibility to subscribe to MURC for a few $ per month and have the ads removed (and maybe another nifty exlusive feature). i would pay.
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Well, I'd throw five of these a month to help keep it UP
                            I'm with the ugly guy below me

(It's amazing how many threads I kill with that line )

Comment

Much as I hate to say it, I have to agree that some form of subscription might be a good idea.
                              Perhaps if the Soap Box, General Hardware/Software, Alternative Lifestyles and maybe the Crystal Ball (ie the biggest Non-Matrox forums - keeping the Matrox specific forums open to the public) were made available only to subscribers for a token fee (£10 a year, £1 a month??) it might ease the load and provide Ant with a few shekels to go towards paying for the hosting with.

I'd be happily prepared to pay £10-15 a year to be on these here Forii, there is (in general ) a good atmosphere and a good bunch of people in the forums.
                              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                              X